SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and apologize if there's an appropriate answer somewhere else.
I'm about to put a 1987 C&C 38 MkIII in the water and need to insure her. Does anyone have advice on which company and coverages to consider? I'm only looking to hear from other boat owners, not brokers.
Thanks,
Jim
Portsmouth NH

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use a broker and I have not had a problem with them. Having said that I am in Australia and US brokers may well be a different breed. Some considerations may be do you need to get a survey, does cover include racing if you intend to race and how far offshore they will cover you for. I have also read in a magazine somewhere that you may need to get your rig inspected by a rigger every so many years in order to get a full value payment in the event of a rig failure. Our rules are probably different to yours and I find that asking around at your yacht club can get good local advice on most things(the forum we used to have before the internet)

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Jim,
Welcome to Sailnet. As for insurers, many people here use Boat US BoatUS.com: BoatUS Home Page and are very happy. Personally I use Progressive, I got a great deal with them since they insure 3 cars for me. Shop around, just make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
Michael

·
Registered
73 Posts
My husband is an agent in MA. Don't know if that can cross over to NH, but he's also a boat owner so may be able to provide some insight. PM if you want his info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts