SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
yup

a seaworthy interior is different than a nice looking or awesomely restored interior as the abive pics show

like rich says

handhold or grab holds

Im a fan of centerline stainless rails or good old hemp lines or rode, down the middle of the cabin to grab to

rounded corners on all cabinets, bulkheads, tables, furniture...

anti skid grip on the cabin sole in certain places like over the nav table and entrance to head...companionway etc

gimballed stove obviously

sea berths using canvas on each side

netting

stuff like that

Reactions: RichH

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
I had planned on handholds, nets and all the other crap you're supposed to have. It was originally on the big list to do. Never got to it before getting rid of the boat. Yes, I did sharpish corners in some areas, I just needed to finish the damn thing by the time we got to building this stuff.

It was already coming to an end by that point, and frankly I was already checking out mentally on this stupid boat by the time I built the interior.
crap happens bud

your alberg was/is a thing of beauty:)

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Paul you raise a very good point with regards to the galley. this is the kind of feedback I need. The galley is a big deal on a small boat. What are the pros and cons of such a placement? I suspect locating the galley more forward would benefit in gaining space but this space lacks one's ability to brace when cooking and would make it hard to use. Good for at anchor or calmer seas. Or could we make concessions and live with it? hmmm points to ponder.....
wow now!

how farther forward are you talking? unless you are on a big boat galleys NEED to be closest to the companionway...fumes, heat, steam and in case if an emergency they need to be closest to the "outside"

unless you have a dual cabin boat and big I have seen like an an ocean 71 for example that the galley is in the middle, fully vented, in between cabins and living areas...done this way with chartering in mind

on a small boat no no no!

you need to be able to throw something on fire straight out jajaja straight shot to the ocean in an emergency...

just my thoughts

also regarding galleys we are a huge fan of straps to keep you in place between the oven/sink combo and whatever bulkhead or structure you have surrounding it

it would steady us at sea, I have also seen gimballed seats that hang down from the ceiling that you can steady yourself on and used both your hands for cooking

goes without saying that foot pumps are the way to go for a practical and seaworthy galley at sea.

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
YIKES...Im jelous I havealways wanted an alberg 30 or triton to solo sail around in...and make bulletproof

the massive experience of others is out there with these 2 boats...just look at yves gelinas and james baldwin and collectively you have enough info on these boats to go anywhere in the world you want

btw on the canvas thread I mentioned yves best dodger system for small boats if anyone is interested its by far the best solution for small boat dodgers.

anywhoo

good luck hr28

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
I like the low (er) profile as apposed to the Cape horn. some of the other vanes take up the whole stern. Almost looks like enough space for a swim ladder. How well does it steer? Is the cost and spare parts comparable to the Aries or Cape Horn?
you mean like the monitor OIL PLATFORM? aka windvane

even the aries seems smaller out back

whenever I get a boat that needs a windvane again Ill go the norvane route

I became a huge fan when they came out...

im good now with my sayes rig on the islander 36 yet to test it out though:(

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
im an aries fan true and true and despite what is said about wieght they arent that much different than the monitor...

in any case

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
I guess some designs of wind vanes work better on some boats than others. I would rather have something than inspires confidence in its robustness crashing around the ogie for days on end....
this is very true...a barn door rudder or deep attached rudder needs and is best with a trim tab

a sayes for example has been known to work well with skeg inboard rudders

on a spade choose your poison

beleive me Im not knocking the monitor...however they do have some flaws revealed as usual in heavy weather sailing...mostly to do with welds and strength here and there

the aries before the monitor was the golden standard

I loved the 2 I have had...they are very very strong, just be careful and oil them and dont crack the castings...this is were an aries suffers...as its harder to fix than an all stainless vane like the monitor or norvane for that matter.

there are many nice windvanes these days to choose from

there are many threads on here where the models have been refferenced.:)

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Yes. Stainless can be welded fairly easily. cast not so much. Although I have my favorites I am still doing my homework on windvanes but first gotta get the darn boat together..:D
let me know if you need any help with the 2gm20

is it the f? fresh water?

we loved ours on my h28 back in the day

most reliable diesel I have ever had the pleasure of working on

bang bang bang bang all day long

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. I shall. The engine is not the F model it uses coolant. The engine has not been fitted yet. I have made some initial test trails with a mockup of the engine I made out of cardboard. The forward mounts were the issue so I lag bolted thick aluminum to enlarge the mount point. Basically replicating what I have read on the alberg site. I was concerned about space but the engine will fit nicely. She will get a new prop shaft and I plan to re-bed the stern tube just to be safe.
thats the engine the f stands for freshwater running off a heat exchanger

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
these recent posts are spot on, some boat ARE maximized and optimized for what they were intended to do interior wise...one such boat that comes to mind is the cal 40 with various bunks, another is the westsail 32

my h28 like tdw says had a vberth that was good for storage, and that was it

on small boats I have seen the triple berth setup where the interior going in basically becomes a queen bed across the girth...jajajaja

not bad for late night fun I guess

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.