SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently bought a 1985 Starwind 22''. It has a poptop cabin, which is leaking. There aren''t any obvious flaws in the sliding tracks of the cabin top (fiberglass), the pop top itself, or the forward hinged area on deck, yet water is laying in the tracks after a rain. And this water, of course, is seeping into the cabin. The boat is on blocks for the winter, so my first thought was that it is tilted slightly forward, causing runoff into the cabin. But there is evidence of long-term water damage inside in a small area of the wooden wall of the mini-galley. This has been going on a while, yet I can''t find the leak. Has anyone had experience with poptops?

Thanks!
Alyse

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have one that totally rotted but since the deck fittings are still sound there is no effect on the chainplates for the stays. Just sailed my boat (Outrageous)tonight around 5:30 on the Barnegat Bay in NJ. Blowing about 25mph and was wondering if those chain plates would move but not one bit. My deck core rotted too but I cut it out and reglassed it a few years ago. I have sailed my boat hard since new in 1983. A strong little boat. I recomend getting a canvas saround with windows for the pop top. Makes you boat feel like a 25 footer.

Good Sailing

Will

1 - 2 of 2 Posts