SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I travel to Orange County about four times a year. I have two acquaintances who have sailboats or who have access to them (Sea Scout leader), but I always feel like I'm imposing when I ask about sailing. So, I'd like to try taking a boat out for a few hours one of these trips. Can anyone recommend a place to rent a decent sailboat for a few hours in Orange County?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
In Dana, Embarcadero rents Lido's and Capri's, from what I see the boats are fairly new and in good shape.
Embarcadero Marina | danapointharbor.com
And Aventura has larger keel boats, the 28-30 ft. boats they have are older and not too interesting, they have some 32-36 that would be fun. They have their own cert system and require non-members to hire a captain.
Aventura Sailing Association

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my acquaintances out there mentioned Embarcadero and said their boats were decent. A bit on the older side, but for my purposes (considering I sail a 1980's boat anyway) they'd be fine. But I'd be doing most of my sailing in the late afternoon/evening, and that's a problem for Embarcadero because the office closes at 4 or 5. Did a search on Embarcadero and found this place:

San Diego & Long Beach Sailing Club, Sailboat Rentals, Sailing Lessons

They rent 22's at a reasonable rate, and you can take them out in the late afternoon and drop them off after the office closes. I think that's what I'm going to have to do next time I'm out there (weather permitting).

·
Registered
208 Posts
The craigslist one for a 25 or 27 foot sailboat in MDR is a scam.

There's a spot at the Balboa ferry in newport that has 1 or 2 C14.2's, and Long Beach must have bigger things.

Mission Bay in San Diego has a lot of options for Catalina Capri 25's and similar.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Hi Jimgo,
I live in Oceanside which is as North of San Diego county you can get before Camp Pendelton and then Orange County. I belong to Seaforth Sailing in San Diego and have reciprocal agreements with other clubs and have some experience with clubs to the North.

Besides Oceanside Dana Point is the closest Marina to me. In Dana Point you have Aventura and Embarcadero, in Long Beach there is Marina Sailing and Pacific Sailing. Most of the places have boats starting at 30 feet and half to full days for a couple of $100.

Aventura is very cheap and is my favorite, but you have to leave the boat spotless. If you make it to San Diego you can step onto a rigged boat and step off and walk away. PM me next time you are in town I am always looking for someone to share a charter with.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jordan,
Thanks for the note! Dana Point is about as far south as I can go. I'm typically only there Monday through Friday (fly in Monday, out Friday), and I am in the office there until 3:30 or 4:00 PM the days I'm there. So, it would be tough for me to try to get down to your area early enough to get out in a timely manner.

Thanks for the info on the marinas though!

Hey, I heard there is a really good barbecue restaurant just east of the 5 in San Juan Capistrano. Any chance you're familiar with it? I like barbecue and occasionally hunt out good places while I'm out there.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Hey, I heard there is a really good barbecue restaurant just east of the 5 in San Juan Capistrano. Any chance you're familiar with it? I like barbecue and occasionally hunt out good places while I'm out there.
Don't know about BBQ but Hapa J's in San Clemente is pretty awesome especially on taco tuesday. Try the Kalua Pork Nachos.

Dana Point is actually the closest place for me to charter. So I rent from there as often as San Diego. I am less than 10 minutes from Oceanside Marina but there are not any boats worth renting there.
Mostly I am just sailing OPBs.

I am glad I found this post though as I was unfamiliar with Embarcadero sailing. I am looking forward to taking out their Lido 14s as it is the first monohull I ever sailed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Highly recommend marinasailing.com. They have a fleet of mostly privately owned boats in two harbors near OC (Newport and long beach). I've taken a 2011 dufour 375, a beneteau, and a jeanneau. All were in great shape. They have cats too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.