SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RL24 (Rob Legg) Kookaburra
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After setting up the mast for mine and my dads 1981 RL24 it is VERY apparent that it is much more complex than our sunfish we have. I have searched for a few hours on Google and YouTube looking for videos or diagrams for step by step setup. However, I can only find ones that is just setting up the mast or putting up a sail on a dinghy, both with all the in between "simple" steps missing. I have looked through the diagram that came with the boat and although it is helpful it is still not 100% complete, again missing steps. What I am asking is does anyone have a video or very complete diagram on setting up rigging, the mast, main sail, and jib. I am speaking with the guy we bought it from if he can give us a 30 min run through if/when he has the time.

Possible option, if you have Skype I can use my smartphone and we can setup the boat as you walk us through the correct steps, should take 30-40 mins.

Thank you everyone for any and all help. I will be getting a few of the basic sailing and seamanship books this winter.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Reactions: wallster

·
Barquito
3,887 Posts
So, are you having trouble getting the mast up (stepping the mast), or with all the rigging associated with the mast (halyard, sheet, vang, outhaul, cunningham)? It is possible that for the rigging on your boat, the set-up is not the same as the way it came from the factory. Previous owners could have made changes. Post some pictures. (If you haven't posted pictures here, the best way is to put the photos on photobucket, then copy the IMG text directly into the post.)

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, are you having trouble getting the mast up (stepping the mast), or with all the rigging associated with the mast (halyard, sheet, vang, outhaul, cunningham)? It is possible that for the rigging on your boat, the set-up is not the same as the way it came from the factory. Previous owners could have made changes. Post some pictures. (If you haven't posted pictures here, the best way is to put the photos on photobucket, then copy the IMG text directly into the post.)
Yeah, some of the lines came out of the pulleys and wheels. so basically we have a bunch of line with no idea where they go. We were actually able to find a guy that is going to come out on Saturday to show us the setup. We were able to get the mast up and standing rigging but the rest is not really self explanatory.

Ill post some pics if we cant get it up this weekend. Shouldn't be too terrible to setup, there are only a few wheels and pulleys so it'll be easy to remember where it all goes once its done.

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news. Posted on a Public FB page and a guy in our area who had about 50 years sailing experience came out and showed us how to setup and gave us an overview of the boat. Really great guy, will be keeping in touch for next summer.

·
19,484 Posts
Good news. Posted on a Public FB page and a guy in our area who had about 50 years sailing experience came out and showed us how to setup and gave us an overview of the boat. Really great guy, will be keeping in touch for next summer.
That's great... he'll get you sorted and started properly!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.