SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My girlfriend (was fiance) is on a very nice sailboat that was headed down the Mediterannean. The GPS locator says it went off course about 2 days ago and headed right towards Algiers, Algeria. I looked it up and there are travel warnings to Algeria for kidnappings of westerners and terrorism. They went right to the Navy/Military spot on the dock, then last dot is 100 yards away at the shipping dock parking area. Looks like there are 31 knot winds out there. Maybe went there to hide out from the weather and can't get wifi? I haven't heard from them.. they can only send messages back here if they can find wifi. Starting to worry as the dot hasn't headed back out to sea in a couple days. Their destination is Malta.

Thanks - Non Sailor here

·
Registered
454 Posts
Are they USA citizens?
You could ask the consulate there to check on them. Never mind the USA thing, ask whatever consulate belongs to the country they are from.
Also might do a web search for any marinas or yacht clubs there that might have contact info ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ My gf is.. Her cousin was but just got citizenship in England, her husband (also on boat) is from England (British).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ugh I can't post links? Just read this (not them) and its not helping Google Search - Malta to Gibraltar: Concern that direct course is close to Algeria.

Just messaged algerian US Embassy on facebook. Should I email the coast guard there? I don't want to make a big deal out of something if there is no big deal. Just want to make sure they are safe as this wasn't a planned trip I was told about and she told me she would message me in every port and I haven't heard from them.

They were 30 miles off shore when veered toward Algiers.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Lots of reasons why they might have diverted to Algeria (most likely a boat problem but good be an ill crew member). Can't hurt to be in touch with the embassy - you are paying their salary and it probably would take no more than a phone call for them.

Reactions: bljones

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Algeria is one of the safer places on that part of Mediterranean coast. No need to panic. And if their boat was not flying the US flag, I would not worry much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got thru to MRCC in the UK. They took a bunch of information and are making phone calls to check on the safety of the vessel. I hope everything is OK and she doesn't kill me for this. The man sounded concerned that the boat went right to an Alergian Navy Dock.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Algeria is one of the safer places on that part of Mediterranean coast. No need to panic. And if their boat was not flying the US flag, I would not worry much.
I agree, don't panic, but by most accounts Algeria is not one of the safer places along that coast line.

Assuming they headed in due to weather or equipment failure (most likely), probably their biggest issue would be not having the requisite visa to enter the country, and dealing with corrupt layers of government officials and military as a result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are Safe!! That was fast!
The coast guard found and called emergency contact for the boat. That person told coast guard he heard from them this morning. The professional skipper on board said weather was too bad to continue. They were experiencing force 9 winds. They headed into Algeria and are OK there and headed out tomorrow by the sounds of it.
Thanks all for the help.. I've been worried for 1-2 days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am in big trouble on another boating forum because I think this was bogus. The poor guy cannot get a hold of an embassy or USCG but finds two sailing forums online? On the other forum he said he Goggled US embassy and all he got were "hotels."...???? We've all heard of false maydays and this seems to me to be a false online report. At the risk of getting hammered online here as well, does anyone else think this was a bit"fishy"? Too many things just seemed odd...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will post the same reply here before it explodes.

Wow.. Why the need for this? Why would someone think this is fake? Look.. I moderate a snowmobile forum. I know forums can be very handy for assistance so it brought me to here. I have no idea about embassy's or MRCC or any of that, some of you provided that information for me. I never talked to someone at an embassy or whatever, it was the MRCC that gave me a hand and was able to find out their safety which was my soul intent.

Days ago she was skyping with me saying how much she loves me and misses me and doesn't want to go 7? days without talking to me but will have to as the sail to malta.. so to see it go off course to Algeria and not hear from her, is cause for concern. Better safe than sorry. It was a simple phone call.

Its an admirable quality to show concern for someone you care about, and even more noble when you act on that concern. God forbid something had happened and I didn't act on that concern out of fear of making someone mad.

No need for all this crazy analizing. I used some maritime website that shows all the vessels on a map. It also shows the wind and knots.. That is how I seen the wind there was 31-37 knots. Trust me, I have much better things to do with my time than getting on a sailing forum and making up a fake story wasting peoples time. Thanks again and I hope you all have a great weekend!

Moderator can feel free to lock this thread. It's served its purpose.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I am in big trouble on another boating forum because I think this was bogus...
I think you're way off base here. Maybe you deserve to be in trouble on that forum.

I've seen more than my share of false bogus appeals for help. This one had NONE of the signs of a hoax. This issue was straightforward, the facts were consistent, and it was resolved by following the advice provided here, and we didn't even have to transfer $20,000 to a Nigerian bank account. ;) Why come along and throw bricks after the fact?

Chill out, dude. Let's make this a welcoming place.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I make it a practice to give people the benefit of the doubt unless something suggests otherwise. (Unless it involves me giving someone my money then I shift the burden to them). I believe this guy. But if it's a hoax I really don't care. No harm no foul!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I'd suggest the moderators leave this thread open until the OP's fiance is safely home. You never know what can happen on a sailboat :laugher :

·
Registered
107 Posts
No signs of a hoax? But if it were, no harm done? I disagree. No need to deride me or tell me to chill out. I'm just trying to determine the facts. You want to make this a welcoming place? OK,then we need to be concerned and interested when there might be a misuse of the forum. And for the last time, if someone can find two online sailing forums to ask for advice, why can't he find the US State Department or its embassy in Algiers without finding only "hotels" when looking up "Embassy"? OK...enough said. Agree or disagree. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts