SailNet Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No signs of a hoax? But if it were, no harm done? I disagree. No need to deride me or tell me to chill out. I'm just trying to determine the facts. You want to make this a welcoming place? OK,then we need to be concerned and interested when there might be a misuse of the forum. And for the last time, if someone can find two online sailing forums to ask for advice, why can't he find the US State Department or its embassy in Algiers without finding only "hotels" when looking up "Embassy"? OK...enough said. Agree or disagree. Thank you.
Just to clarify, I didn't deride you. At least that wasn't my intention.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
No signs of a hoax? But if it were, no harm done? I disagree. No need to deride me or tell me to chill out. I'm just trying to determine the facts. You want to make this a welcoming place? OK,then we need to be concerned and interested when there might be a misuse of the forum. And for the last time, if someone can find two online sailing forums to ask for advice, why can't he find the US State Department or its embassy in Algiers without finding only "hotels" when looking up "Embassy"? OK...enough said. Agree or disagree. Thank you.

You don't "determine facts" by starting with an accusatory assumption.

When the forum needs someone to speak on behalf of the forum, and determine what should be posted and how and by whom on the forum, i'm sure the forum will call you.
it doesn't. they didn't. so you don't.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am not determining facts with anything but a search for them which I am doing and which so far shows no severe weather in that area on those dates and also shows that two phone numbers to the state department that the OP said were inoperable were in fact working. Furthermore there have been no accusatory assumptions on my part. I am not assuming anything except raising questions that I think are legitimate about something that may not legitimate. There is nothing accusative at all, merely inquisitive. And who is Francis anyway?

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Captain, why do you care? The guy came here, got some answers, provided us with an update (which is more than most posters do!) and thanked us for the info. It's over and done. If it was a hoax, who cares? It's over! But you refuse to let it go. For some reason, you feel the need to dig deeper. Did he ask you for money, or to lend any kind of assistance other than a pointer to the State Department? Other than possibly wasting your time (which you apparently have quite a lot of if you're researching weather conditions in Algiers), what did he do to you here on Sailnet, or to any of the other members here? If you've got a beef with him on another forum, keep it over there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jimgo asks good questions and raises good points in a respectful manner. I appreciate that. But I do think that hoaxes can be serious, have negative consequences and nobody wants to be deceived. People have been known to send out false maydays on the vhf. Is that simply a hoax that we should ignore? Of course in this case, if it were a hoax it was nowhere near as malicious or potentially costly as a false mayday. But we all know the story of the boy who cried wolf and certainly we don't want this or any forum to be misused or poisoned by deception of any sort. We want to be helpful and provide good advice but all of us are at risk, however modest or pusillanimous it may be if an OP plays games or deceives any of us. I hope it was not a hoax and that everyone was okay but how can someone have been so naive as to not be able to find the US State Department but could track GPS and find online forums?

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
I hope it was not a hoax and that everyone was okay but how can someone have been so naive as to not be able to find the US State Department but could track GPS and find online forums?
The SPOT may well be the captain's - all you have to do is visit a web site to see the progress. It doesn't take a lot of techno-knowledge to click a URL.

As for the State Department issue, everybody has different life experiences. I think that if the love of my life was aboard a boat for the experience of her life, and I watched the boat veer toward ANY unexpected port along the African coast, I'd be a little freaked out. If you don't realize that there are embassies in those countries, and that you can call them for help, where else would YOU turn?

I'm presupposing a lot, but nothing in the base story sounded like anything more than a request for assistance. I've gotten a lot of help here - if I can help answer what some might think is a naïve or simplistic question.

Anyway, to the OP, assuming this was legit, as I said before, I'm glad they found her and that the boat and crew are well. If it's not legit, well, it's a pretty weird way to try to get attention. Either way, I'm going to stop following this thread since the case is closed.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
...how can someone have been so naive as to not be able to find the US State Department but could track GPS and find online forums?
Why can't you let go of this? If I were in his position, I wouldn't really know where to start either. Who is in charge in Algeria? Do you contact their government instead? Your suggestion of "The State Department" narrows it down a bit, but you don't tweet your problem to @thestatedepartment. ;) The guy needed a little more specifics than that. It just seems a little odd that you keep wanting to insult the guy by repeatedly accusing him of being unbelievably naive. I just don't get it.

As for these terribly damaging hoaxes, I wish to formally protest your suggestion that anything posted here is a hoax. SeaCaptainDatethefuck.com is a well known legitimate dating service. :laugher

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
I'd suggest the moderators leave this thread open until the OP's fiance is safely home. You never know what can happen on a sailboat :laugher :

This would not happen to be a sea captain of a certain Tartan 27 in NY would it? or is this a different "captain Caleb?" :laugher:laugher

21 - 28 of 28 Posts