SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum. Am planning to purchase a used 30' sailboat but I'm not interested in sailing. I would like to remove the mast except for about 8 feet for antenna mounting. Would like to do the great loop and not have to worry about a mast, also very economical cruising. Would removing the mast as described have any ill effects on the vessel?? Thanks Al.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
No, there's no reason why you can't remove the mast and just motor. Plenty of people transport sailboats in that manner.

However, sailboats are designed to sail. If all I wanted was to motor, I'd personally look at a trawler. You'll get a lot more comfortable of a boat if you get one that is designed to be motored.

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
Of course, a sailboat is very unlikely to have as much internal volume and room for stores as a power boat of the same length, and sawing off the mast will deprive the boat of the ability to steady its motion via the sails or to save money by sailing.
-- And, cruising sailboats of that size usually have much more of a displacement hull design than powerboats and don't have room to install a much bigger engine, so a mast-less traditional sailboat would become a slow powerboat without the option of having a big engine to get out of trouble.
-- Also, you'd probably be paying to motor around with a big heavy lead or iron keel that isn't doing much to earn its deep, and which would restrict you from entering shallow water. (You could maybe saw off and sell a lead keel for good money, but then your boat would be even less stable.)
-- And powerboaters and sailors would probably both be suspicious of a boat that doesn't know which side it's on.
But, as "they" say, your sea miles may vary.

PS: Better than sawing off the mast would be saving it on land somewhere safe, so as to preserve a sailing option as well as the boat's resale value, or perhaps selling it -- the mast is worth a lot more as a mast than as some sort of hokey antenna support or whatever.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm curious, why would you want a sailboat to motor with? Not that there is anything wrong it but it is somewhat counter-intuitive.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
A 35' sailboat with a Beta 16 diesel like and old C&C 35 I gets in the 14 MPG range in real life as i have been racing on one the last 5 years and we only keep a 10 gallon fuel tank :)

That being said there is NOTHING more rocky and uncomfortable than a sailboat without sails :(

·
Working for next Boat
213 Posts
I read a piece on Fuel mileage Trawler v Sailboat, same trip same time of the year, in the End the Trawler spent 900% more then the Sailboat on Fuel and got the same mileage.

You might find a motor-sailor that you can drop the mast from and install a 16' 4x4 as your antenna mount, Also your radar reflector, Steaming Light, Anchor Light ,cross bar for flags and Deck lights and it will be easy to drop if you need to get under something very low. Then when you get back you can put the mast back on and sell it .

Best of luck on your Trip, it is a Trip i would love to make myself. Fair Winds

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I'm new to this forum. Am planning to purchase a used 30' sailboat but I'm not interested in sailing. I would like to remove the mast except for about 8 feet for antenna mounting. Would like to do the great loop and not have to worry about a mast, also very economical cruising. Would removing the mast as described have any ill effects on the vessel?? Thanks Al.
If you're serious, and I have my doubts. I would recommend that even though you don't want to sail, you should leave the mast on the boat. If you are planning on passing under bridges that don't open, it would be possible and certainly more sensible to set up the mast to lower when you need to.

You don't have to sail it, but leave the mast on the boat. It will roll your guts out if you remove the spar.

·
19,489 Posts
Buy a small trawler.. that's what it's designed to do. Sailboats (at least keelboats) without their rigs tend to be overly stable and will have a snappy, uncomfortable motion due to the loss of the inertia of the rig itself, never mind the stabilizing effect of the sails.

A small 'chugger' will have more volume, likely, and would be being used as intended.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
I'd get a sail boat that was small enough to lower and raise the mast by myself to not worry about the bridges, OR, as mentioned, a trawler style, possibly a pilot house motor sailor! I'd probably go with a trawler before a MS myself.

marty

·
Registered
845 Posts
Removing the mast will increase rolling. The mast acts like a pendulum and decreases rolling. either keep the mast or buy a motor yacht.

A sailing yacht without a mast is not a good vision for the viewers also.

·
Senior Moment Member
76 Posts
A good many people have been throwing out the alternative of a trawler instead of a mastless sailboat and if you are to go that route I do have a few words of caution.

So sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip, That started from a tropic port, aboard a tiny ship. The mate was a mighty sailin' man, the Skipper brave and sure. Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour...a three hour tour. The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew the trawler would be lost.

So you see, if you are going to get a trawler instead you will also be required to get a fearless crew to ensure your safety thus making the trawler choice very expensive. I would opt out for the smaller sailboat with a stepable mast instead.

:)

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
All good points above that I won't repeat. I will add that the mast is a pricey item and destroying it will seriously devalue the boat. Do you plan to flush that money down the drain? You will not be able to sell a sailboat without a mast, as you are the one and only I've ever heard of being interested in one. Replacing it could be a seriously higher percentage of the boat's value than you might think.

·
Senior Moment Member
76 Posts
All good points above that I won't repeat. I will add that the mast is a pricey item and destroying it will seriously devalue the boat. Do you plan to flush that money down the drain? You will not be able to sell a sailboat without a mast, as you are the one and only I've ever heard of being interested in one. Replacing it could be a seriously higher percentage of the boat's value than you might think.
Excellent point, as an example say you have a 25/26ft boat either a Columbia or a Pearson. If you are lucky you will be able to find a replacement mast for $3000. In some cases that will be what you spent on the boat in the first place. Get a bigger boat and the price goes up drastically.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I read a piece on Fuel mileage Trawler v Sailboat, same trip same time of the year, in the End the Trawler spent 900% more then the Sailboat on Fuel and got the same mileage.
I think you're right that in general most any trawler is going to be less fuel efficient than a sailboat. But I am sure that if you get creative in looking around, you can find a little trawler that does remarkably well on fuel. And any trawler is going to be so much more comfortable and easier to motor full time than a sailboat.

For example, quick google search came up with this nifty looking 21 foot trawler.

In the 31 days, we have traveled 3,977 miles and used 3,184 liters of fuel [841 gallons, or 4.7 miles per gallon],” says Kinard, who spoke to Soundings after arriving in France. “For this kind of navigation, this went exactly as I planned.
Tiny trawler crosses Atlantic

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
I love posts like these. It's akin to asking "I'm thinking of buying a hammer, and using it to install wood screws, what do you all think of this?"

Dude, buy the proper tool for your task instead of trying to (poorly) adapt the wrong tool to your intended task. Sailboats with their masts, often motor uncomfortably. I can't imagine doing a long trip without the mast. :rolleyes:

·
Quirky
598 Posts
I'm not sure what the benefit the OP sees in a sailboat over a power boat? If it's just cheap transportation, get an under powered power boat. Throw a 12 hp yanmar in it or something.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I love posts like these. It's akin to asking "I'm thinking of buying a hammer, and using it to install wood screws, what do you all think of this?"

Dude, buy the proper tool for your task instead of trying to (poorly) adapt the wrong tool to your intended task. Sailboats with their masts, often motor uncomfortably. I can't imagine doing a long trip without the mast. :rolleyes:
Absolutely...

In addition, it's a pity these forums don't have some sort of software to prevent the initiation of such discussions without including at least some hint of the sort of BUDGET the poster has in mind... (grin) Unbelievable, how consistently these sort of "Which boat?" inquiries omit the single most important consideration in soliciting recommendations from strangers...

If I was looking to do the Great Loop on the cheap, I'd have a look at something like this Albin 27... Nice little boat, with a great engine for such a trip...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2500392&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1852&url=

1 - 20 of 87 Posts