SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Sad. The other boats are safely on anchor. I am always afraid to docking into non perfectly sheltered places. That guy is trapped there, he cannot move his boat, the only thing he can do is to ask someone to help him laying a lateral anchor for helping to take out some of the force the boat is doing against the pontoon or even to try to take the boat out, if the anchor laid is his main anchor on the winch. Even so a maneuver that surely is going to leave some marks on the gelcoat.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Feel for the guy. I note, except for the boat nearest to the camera and could have been previously anchored, no other boats are tied to the pier. It looks like a hard lesson learned about tying up on the windward side. I found that out at the fuel dock in Messina when me and a mate were helping a guy deliver his newly purchased boat from Turkey to Copenhagen. It still gives me shivers.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That's what I'm thinking, too. Those boats came off their moorings or anchor.

Shorty of getting on board, powering it up and losing some gelcoat to get enough forward speed to steer off of it, about all you can do in that instance is call the insurance company and tell them their boats about to sink. There is a lot more force at work there than most people realize. Look at the damage to the dock by closer boat and imagine getting yourself or a body part caught up in that.

Good less about getting caught on a lee dock in a strong wind (and, I think we've all learned that lesson the same way). :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts