SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched my 13' Melonseed, sailed out into the Sound for some much needed peace. I've only sailed twice since november, I was getting landsick.
Light breeze, warm day, ducks and loons and I on the wide water. Lovely.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Sounds perfect.

Is that a Crawford Melonseed? Either way, those Melonseeds are pure sailing.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sailing Saturday

Outstanding sailing on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Lake Pontchartrain</st1:place> this past weekend.. Nice steady 15 KT southeasterly clocking to south on Sunday.. 75 degrees .. Beautiful out. Just the kind of day that the boat and its occupants revel in! Seems like the lake water has recovered from the intrusion of the <st1:place w:st="on">Mississippi River</st1:place> last summer when they opened the floodgates of the Bonnie Carrie. The Water has a nice healthy look and we saw lots of mullet jumping. Hundreds of wild ducks are rafted up into half acre patches far from shore, waiting to head back up north where they don't have to run the generator to sleep.. Alas, the pine tree pollen is falling now, making a feast for the algae and mildew.. Time to start scrubbing !

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Melonseed was homebuilt in Md. She's strip planked cedar, glassed in and out. Lighter than the Crawford boat, and varnished inside. They are all amazing though. Fast, handy, sail well in thin water, really beautiful. Their only shortcoming is that they are wet in a chop.
Woulda, you do need a trailer boat for winter sailing, or bringing on vacation, or even to nearby harbors.
Kloudie, glad you had a good sail. Is there any offseason in Louisiana?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts