Try anchoring with a bridle from the stern
This should keep her straight.

Geoff Cooke
MEANDER
Bristol, RI

·
Registered
654 Posts
You can fly a special sail that will help with the back and forth motion. Talk to your sailmaker buy it is a v-shaped sail that attaches to the back stay and then led forward so that the open end of the v faces the bow. Its hard to explain but I hope you get the gist.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Try anchoring from the stern or raising an ''anchor riding'' sail.
Other: remove the furled/rolled jib.

;-)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to www.sailrite.com and check their online catalogue. They sell both a kit for an anchor riding sail and a finished one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You have several options:
--use an anchor riding sail on the backstay
--put out a second anchor
--if a ketch just fly your mizzen sail
--using an all chain rode will help a bit

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Sometimes we find that setting the wheel over to one side helps balance out the forces and steadies the boat at anchor without a riding sail.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some boats like my old Cal 25 are really bad. Others can become worse from big roller furling head sails.

Tie the pennant as close to the centerline as you can.

Don''t use "riding sails" something will go wrong.

If you are in a tight anchorage two anchors off your bow at an angle to each other will stop sailing.

J

·
0 Posts
I have successfully used riding sails on and off for years. What is that you think can go wrong?

Respectfully
Jeff

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps my statement is an overreaction however I did read that in a storm a riding sail could put undue force on a boat. That''s of course if you left it up when you were not on the boat. This was an opinion that I picked up.

As to being on a boat with a riding sail. They make a snapping noise when tacking. I don''t know if I could sleep on one.

On the other hand that Cal 25 of mine drove me nuts with it''s sailing at anchor. I was a beginner too. I recall anchoring backwards in a crowded anchorage until I could get another anchor out and ready. That boat had a roller furling headsail too and no bow chocks. The bow cleats were not near the center either.

It would have been worth it to drop and bag that headsail if at the time I knew it would help. That bow on the Cal 25 was so big however I am not sure that taking down the jib would have been enough.

So besides the small stuff like the jib, bridles, chocks in the center and wheel hard over I suppose we are left with the riding sail or two anchors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try to put a second anchor down at the bow on such short scope, that the anchor will slide over the bottom as the boat moves. It may not eliminate the sailing, but it will be reduced.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
For when the boat sits unattended (sometimes for days), I'm thinking that it's better to have a riding sail up than to have the boat constantly sailing.

In Block Island, RI this summer, in 30 feet of water that was right near 50 feet of water, I never got a good night sleep, in spite of having ample chain out. There was a good wind, roughly 20 knots. Back and forth, back and forth, back and... you get the idea. All night long I kept thinking of the anchor getting pulled one way and then the other.

Granted, the deeper water was upwind of us. It was still unnerving in that crowded anchorage.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Bene505-

I'd highly recommend that you check dates on threads before reviving them. This one was dead for almost seven years before you did so. There have been more recent threads on sailing at anchor which have more updated information in them. I'd also highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get more out of your time on Sailnet.

·
1,000 Posts
For when the boat sits unattended (sometimes for days), I'm thinking that it's better to have a riding sail up than to have the boat constantly sailing.

In Block Island, RI this summer, in 30 feet of water that was right near 50 feet of water, I never got a good night sleep, in spite of having ample chain out. There was a good wind, roughly 20 knots. Back and forth, back and forth, back and... you get the idea. All night long I kept thinking of the anchor getting pulled one way and then the other.

Granted, the deeper water was upwind of us. It was still unnerving in that crowded anchorage.
Good post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts