SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for a book/title. I spent awhile on Amazon looking at peoples lists but nothing rang a bell...

It's a sort of coming of age book about a young man who signed on to work a fishing boat. I'm thinking it was the 1930s, Depression era. One of the last sailing/fishing boats, off the West coast. I believe they were cod fishing in Alaskan waters.

It was a good book that I read years ago, non-fiction. If anyone can help, thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My guess is 1936): Freddie Bartholomew CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS. Oh, a book, sorry thats the best i can do.

·
Flotsam with attitude
29 Posts
I can't help you with the search for your book, but I would recommend another :- "The last Grain Race" by Eric Newby, who as a young man again in the thirties, signed on to a clipper ship sailing to Australia and back from Belfast.

It's his true story, beautifully written, about the last days of these great ships, where men were sent into the rigging with no safety lines in storm conditions in the southern oceans. Decks awash, and the risk of broaching while maneuvering being an ever present danger, they raced rival ships for pride and the next cargo.
Great book.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
sailing for dummies, every sail boat has to have it on board. its really great for when your waiting for friends and you are early, sit in the cockpit and read it when they walk up.

other wise i have a book that is nothing but recounts of bad trips, weather, sinkings, etc, not a good read right before bed thou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.