SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to do some high latitude sailing - This time lapse film taken in Greenland is very inspiring!

Definitely on my bucket list of places to sail!

What's on your sailing bucket list?

Pete

·
Freedom isn't free
2,975 Posts
Block island race
Newport Bermuda race
Chicago Mac race
perhaps transpac.

Ok... seeing a trend? Probably never happen, I'm getting old and fat, and nobody would want me for crew. Might have to buy my own boat, and hire some crew to help me do it!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Man I bet it gets cold up there.

Probably never happen, I'm getting old and fat, and nobody would want me for crew.
Me too Shnool, but we make good rail meat! Just roll over back and forth when shouted at.

Bucket list for next season- Ocracoke and Cape Lookout.

Retirement bucket list- the Chesapeake, as many islands as possible down the ICW, the Bahamas to befriend the swimming pigs, the Keys, THE KEYS, THE KEYS, the Dry Tortugas, and somehow Catalina Island. That place is beautiful.

·
Master Mariner
8,552 Posts
This year's America's Cup races opened my eyes to a whole new world of sailing. Now I have a mad desire to skipper an AC 72. I'm not at all sure my 50+ years of sailing experience would be of any value in that, but I'd sure like to take one for a spin!
Alternately, and probably just as unattainable, I'd very much like to cruise China, but from everything I've heard, you cannot cruise there freely. No gunkholing, only approved marina to approved marina.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
What's on your sailing bucket list?

Pete

I would just like to do a circumnavigation and cruise the world. No reason to ruin a good trip with a destination.

But if I can't do that, then spending whatever time I can on the boat.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm with 1st CnC......
Down the ICW to the Keys. Might take me longer, as the voyage IS the destination! ;)
Hopefully next Fall?!?!
Other than that?? My bucket's gotta hole innit! :D

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Retirement bucket list- the Chesapeake, as many islands as possible down the ICW, the Bahamas to befriend the swimming pigs, the Keys, THE KEYS, THE KEYS, the Dry Tortugas, and somehow Catalina Island. That place is beautiful.
Good plan, but I'd suggest doing the Keys & Dry Tortugas before you head over to the Bahamas...

Otherwise, you're likely to be disappointed in the former :)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Good old circumnavigation with a passage through Panama Canal.

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Just this past summer, we had some guests aboard for a day sail that brought us a gift. It was the book, "50 places to sail before you die". Never heard of it before. Turns out we've sailed in better than half the suggestions.

I'm not really planning to finish the list. :)

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I was pretty upset that I couldn't get a weather window to make it out to the Dry Tortugas last winter. Maybe in 2015 if I'm not too old to continue to sail single handed. I'll be 75 years old then, maybe a bit too old to do this alone, so I'll have to get some young gal to help me handle the boat. :)

Pete, the guy in the video may as well have owned a trawler - I didn't see the sails go up one time.

Gary :cool:

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Sail from San Francisco around Point Conception and into Southern CA, single handed. Just to see if I could do it.

Turns out I can:)

Just finished the trip last week. Very exciting but now already craving a new adventure :D

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Pete, the guy in the video may as well have owned a trawler - I didn't see the sails go up one time.

Gary :cool:
I just watched the video. That's Drake Paragon, he posts here I'm pretty sure. He definitely sails. He has a bunch of videos on you tube that are pretty interesting.

If his sails didn't go up I'm guessing he had a reason. No wind? IDK.

·
Registered
125 Posts
short term. Around Vancouver island. planning it for summer of of 2015. when I get back from that the next trip will start getting planned. looking at 2 years around the pacific. maybe another one after that somewhere longer .. like all the way around this marble.

I guess the bucket list is just to get out there and do it.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I just watched the video. That's Drake Paragon, he posts here I'm pretty sure. He definitely sails. He has a bunch of videos on you tube that are pretty interesting.

If his sails didn't go up I'm guessing he had a reason. No wind? IDK.
One of the downsides of high latitude cruising in summer, you'll generally wind up doing a LOT of motoring. Especially in the vicinity of Greenland, in a season when the 'Greenland High' is well established, one of the dominant climactic features in the Northern hemisphere which can have a huge effect on European weather...

Drake definitely did some sailing on his passage from Prinz Christian to Iceland... They had a real blow for several days, managed to get heavily pooped in a Westsail 42 (no easy feat, for sure), sustaining considerable damage as a result...

By the time they had recouped in Reykjavík, it was getting very late in season for their intended passage to Ireland, so they decided to winter over in Iceland...

I'm with Pete, Greenland is a place I'd love to make it to someday... If there was one spot I'd put at the top of my bucket list, however, it would probably be Norway's Lofoten Islands...

Ive explored a bit of Norway by road, the place is absolute magic, one of my favorite countries in the world...

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
The northern Atlantic(Nova Scotia, Greenland, Iceland) and then my pipe dream is to sail the same routes as Paul in the book of Acts in the Bible.. Its mostly eastern Med(Crete, Sicily, Greece), minus the boat sinking of course!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Desolation Sound (with Faster, preferably)
Alaska
Transpac

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is it still "Sailing" when you motor a sailboat everywhere?

No offense to the video - which was awesome - but I'm just wondering. Like some motor-yacht people say, "we sailed to the island." but they didn't, they have two diesels, 2 levels, and windows, and a dinghy crane. No sails.

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Is it still "Sailing" when you motor a sailboat everywhere?

No offense to the video - which was awesome - but I'm just wondering. Like some motor-yacht people say, "we sailed to the island." but they didn't, they have two diesels, 2 levels, and windows, and a dinghy crane. No sails.

The U.S. Navy employs a bunch of people called Sailors. The majority of the Navy's fleet, I'm going to guess, doesn't have sails.

Damn It!

While I'm at it, why do they call it a "hot water heater". It's a COLD water heater, why would you want to heat hot water?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts