SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for inspiration.

I just bought myself a canoe hull, plan is to make a sailing canoe.

I paid a few hundred dollars and got myself a 1973 Grumman 17 canoe.

My goal is to make her in to a camp cruiser. I am thinking one -2 weeks at a time with me, my wife, my two kids and my Basset Hound.

Want to keep paddling to a minimum. So. How do I make this boat go? All ideas welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
Why? :)

I went canoeing during graduation senior week in college. Had to leave on a bus at 6am to get to some god forsaken river, to paddle through some light rapids all day, just to come home. I did not want to go and had barely gotten to sleep at 1am the night before, from other graduation festivities. My girlfriend at the time insisted.

I think we made it about 30 minutes down the river, capsized and lost all the beer we brought with us. I never went back. I ended up marrying that girlfriend. The marriage capsized too.

Nothing good comes with a canoe. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can answer why; car topping. My patience for trailering is getting a bit thin, but we really like taking our winter vacation in south Florida and our summer vacation in Nova Scotia. Throw the boat on the roof, camping gear in the back of the van, good to go. "CRUISERS" ;)

Any way, aside from scouring the interweb for used sail rigs (Grumman Canoes actually sold a factory sail rig with rudder and sunfish style rig for this model), I am focused on a couple of off the shelf sail rigs.

One is the Balogh Sail Designs batwing sail rig. Crazy expensive, but I have seen them perform and they certainly get the job done. BSD Rigs for Canoes - Product list. they are pricey, but ever since I sold my keel boat, I figure I am saving about $5k a year on moorage, so...

The other option I am looking at is a sail rig out of Britain by Solway Dory. I like this option for its simplicity and they seem seem to be big canoe sailors in the UK, it's where the whole thing started back in the mid 19th century. Here is the "Expedition Bermuda Rig". The Expedition Bermudan Rig

Shipping rates from UK to Canada aren't that far off from US to Canada, so not really a concern.

·
Old soul
4,494 Posts
I used to sail my solo canoe when tripping on occasion. I'd lash a paddle to near the bow, and string my tarp back to the stern. Then lash the spare paddle at midships down into the water to act as a dagger board. It was a great downwind rig. Could make time on a beam. Never went to wind.

My best canoe sailing was when we lashed two boats together to create a catamaran. We did this on our way down the Missinaibi River. Prevailing winds were behind us most of the way, so we sailed for more than a week in this rig.

Given the large number of CI-CII rapids on the route, we also learned how to run raps as a catamaran. Now THAT was challenging.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
One is the Balogh Sail Designs batwing sail rig. Crazy expensive, but I have seen them perform and they certainly get the job done. BSD Rigs for Canoes - Product list. they are pricey, but ever since I sold my keel boat, I figure I am saving about $5k a year on moorage, so...
They may be expensive but likely worth it. Since paddling and sailing are your thing. Used kayaks and canoes are available for really cheap (I spent $100 combined for my last two boats) and you can move a good sailing rig from boat to boat.

Other options would be sailboatstogo.com
https://www.youtube.com/embed/s59SkZhH88c

https://www.sailboatstogo.com/content/Canoe_Sailing

CLC also has a sailing rig.

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/clc-sailrig-kayak-canoe-sailing-rig.html

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
One thing to consider with kayak sailing is in order to get anything other than downwind performance, you will need a lot of extra gear, outriggers, leeboards and rudder. Not a problem when the winds are in your favor but if the winds are too strong or two light you have the awkward gear to store and also the extra weight.

An easy simple option is to get two wind paddles for your crew and you can be in the back as stern rudder.

https://youtu.be/suwfrdJCOUg

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen a few companies marketing those latine rigs as canoe rigs, but can you reef them? I can't imagine sailing a canoe without an easy reefing system.

Jeptohog, the first kayak I ever sailed had a wind paddle, it was actually pretty good for running down wind.

I have been playing quite a bit with down wind kayak sail rigs, I am thinking something with a bit more horsepower with some upwind capability.

Here is a pic from my first wind paddle sail.

Attachments

·
Old soul
4,494 Posts
I have seen a few companies marketing those latine rigs as canoe rigs, but can you reef them? I can't imagine sailing a canoe without an easy reefing system.
Haven't tried with mine. Probably not easily. I suppose you could install reef ties in the sail. When you want to reef, lower the halyard and tie off the excess sail onto the boom as you would a Marconi-type sail ... maybe?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
You could weld a weighted keel onto the bottom and not have to worry about capsizing, outriggers & other paraphenalia. 25kg about 80 cm down would keep her well on her feet. Use a NACA profile for the best foil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I fitted a trolling motor to my 16ft cedar strip/epoxy canoe, with a truck battery under the rear seat. It went like a dream!
Range was about 2 hrs

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
This is another possible route:

Friends with foilers (Wazps, Wetas) swear that they’re really stable once you’re up until they’re not. Not sure exactly what they mean by that.

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, had the share this. Somebody on one of my Kayak sailing groups shared this. It looks pretty cool. Polytarp international. Sells sail making kits and finished sails made from polytarp. Kits start at $90, finished sails start at $130.

Seems like something Bolger would have highly approved of.

So, one could buy an old wind surfer mast for $30, poly tarp sail for $90, and be off to the races.

Okay, probably wouldn't be racing with that set up, but you could be having a whole lot of fun and laughs.

https://polysail.com/index.php/products/polysail-kits/

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about an Optimist rig? Sail area is about right, low aspect.

I see there is a free Ootimist in my local classifieds, hull is shot, guy wants it off his property.

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recall Grumman had a sailing kit. Included a lateen sail, leeboards and a rudder.
Yes, Grumman had at various times both a latine and a gunter rig. Would love to get my hands on the Gunter. Both are big sail area rigs on 75 pound boats.

Very cool.

Here is a vid I found of the latine. Looks like white knuckle sailing.

Too much fun.

https://youtu.be/KP98_NBj66g

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
That guy is definitely paying attention. F 5 is plenty of wind with that size sail. The leeboards seem to work pretty well. He’s not slipping too much to leeward, though it also looks like he’s not trying to head up too much -- there’s a lot going on between the puffs, the sheet, the tiller lines, keeping his weight in the right place, and the edge of the lake coming up fast. Less wind would be more relaxing, but that’s obviously not ARCB’s style.

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Decided to go with a Sprit Rig. Lumber yards and chandlerys are closed now, so I had to use a bit of ingenuity.

Made a prototype sprit sail from polytarp. Once I had a prototype sail, I could work on rig dimensions.

Used an old sabbot rig somebody had discarded but cut about 4 ft off the end with my chain saw.

Didn't have any suitable lumber for a sprit yard so I fashioned one from a staight piece of alder using my ax. Sail is about 40 sq feet, in line with optis, sabbots, Walker Bays, etc.

My next task will be to build a sailing thwart so I can mount the rig to the boat.

Not a bad looking rig for poly tarp and an afternoon with an ax and chainsaw.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts