SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Quite the lashing, but it works.

These inflatable amas are a bit of a racket I think. I have been researching them on amazon etc.

Cheapest pair I found provide <30 lbs of buoyancy come with no hardware and cost $60 usd. That seems kinda pricey to me.

The most expensive I found come with a full set of hardware but cost $800 usd.

Mid range with hardware run in the $400 neigbourhood.

Crazy. The boat only cost me $450. Sail was maybe $20. I can buy an off the shelf canoe sail for £160 or have one custom made to my own design at a local loft for maybe $400 cdn.

Why are inflatable amas so expensive?

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Maybe foam flutter boards from Cdn Tire. Do a plywood backing plate. Might work okay.

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
What about...

2 flutter boards. One offset in front of the other. Contoured with a knife then glassed in? Maybe 25 pounds of buoyancy each, but planing surfaces so as speed increases, so to does lift?

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,330 Posts
Iirc, the windrider 16 mainsail has a sleeve for the mast and is loose foot
Very simple
I rented a Windrider 16. The trip away from the dock was a blast, I was laughing hooting and hollering all the way downwind. Trying to get back up the bay to the rental place was another story. I think I was tacking 95 degrees to the wind. I really wish I had a paddle for that leg.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,330 Posts
I don't think this would be a too complicated project. A table saw and bandsaw or a jigsaw, a block plane or belt sander should be all it should take to make these amas.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,330 Posts
It's all old equipment though (70's)?
My nicest piece of equipment is a 70s era tablesaw it is the center of my workshop.

One thing I like about your current setup is it looks streamlined, meaning not to built up. If you were to build the CLC amas I suggested you loose that, you would be stuck with a big solid float you would have to deal with when it is not needed.

The Sailboatogo setup would be nice because it would give you a deflation option to get it out of the way when needed.

https://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/kayak_rig/1013

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Nice find. That's a better price than I have been seeing on Amazon. I might actually go with that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a large inflatable seat that came with my AVON, It's 3 foot long x 1 foot hotdog. I'm sure it has a good 100lbs of flotation, but that sort of thing would drag a lot, or maybe not if it's pumped hard. In any event, my experience with my old Hobie Island was that the amas didn't provide any planing help, they would just bury in the water at about 15knots wind. The heeling forces on a narrow hull are pretty large. I think any ama is going to add drag, but the real benefit is stability.

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Well. This was a disaster.

Went for test sail with wife and kid, didn't work out to well.

Son, 5 explains to me in very simple terms. Our sharpie has a roof, pillows to lay down on, a galley to make hot chocolate.

Simply put, he told me to get my head out of my arse because our sailboat was in nearly every way a superior boat.

·
11,846 Posts
Why? :)

I went canoeing during graduation senior week in college. Had to leave on a bus at 6am to get to some god forsaken river, to paddle through some light rapids all day, just to come home. I did not want to go and had barely gotten to sleep at 1am the night before, from other graduation festivities. My girlfriend at the time insisted.

I think we made it about 30 minutes down the river, capsized and lost all the beer we brought with us. I never went back. I ended up marrying that girlfriend. The marriage capsized too.

Nothing good comes with a canoe. :)
Not everything comes in 50 ft sizes with big price tags and Uber maintainence , that’s why.

Different levels of commitment to get out into nature and on the water. There are times I long for the simpler Hobie 16 I once sailed.

It was what I could afford both financially and time wise as well as was loads of fun, challenging and was quick and easy to use.

Different levels for different people as long as they have fun, get out on the water, in this case as a family, and can do it in their own financial space.

Personally I used a canoe a lot when I was in scouts and I was a teenager and MOST of my experiences were positive

Questioning somebody who has aspirations like this should be met with positive thoughts vs negative ones.

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
I got an unexpected opportunity to do a multi day solo trip coming up, so I decided to double down on this project. I could have taken my trailer sailer but really didn't want to be restricted by a gas engine.

I have made quite a few changes including lightening the rig, adding a pivoting leeboard of my own design and adding 86 pounds of positive side buoyancy.

Decided to go with a loose footed sail- I have several sail rigs in my garage both dacron and polytarp but wanted to go with a loose footed sprit.

Because it's a solo set up, I need to sit in the middle to trim out the boat. Went with a sawed off lawn chair, rather than adding another fixed bench seat. Figure if sailing got lively, would fold up the lawn chair and use the aft thwart as a seat.

I believe this set up is Superior to my last attempt.

A friend and fellow canoe sailor suggested that I name this boat "Hold My Beer".

Attachments

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
If you're going to call it that, you need to add drink holders. One for the beer and another for the bug spray.

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Had some really pretty nice sailing today. My leeboard placement is causing quite a bit of weather helm, but it's been manageable will repack the boat tomorrow with more weight aft. Should help some. Covered maybe 20 miles today in light winds. Half sailing, half paddling.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
No. It's a Walmart Ozark 4. Our Marmot bit the dust in Fort Desoto in February. This was all that was available at the time. $35. Not a bad little tent, but no vestibule.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts