SailNet Community banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The dog and I are weathering a pretty good thunderstorm in it right now. Its holding up pretty well. Just had to put our bags on the windward side to keep the corners from folding in.

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Complicated socially distant visit with grandparents.

Not sure I could swing a backstay with a home made poly tarp sprit rig.
The sprit rig is surprisingly effective on the canoe. I went with almost a square shape to get the CE down as low as possible.

Didn't run a GPS today, so don't know what speed I hit, but the Grumman was throwing a substantial wake, so I am guessing over hull speed, in some pretty light winds too. Don't expect much performance to weather though.

Attachments

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,500 Posts
Not sure I could swing a backstay with a home made poly tarp sprit rig.
Did you make that sail yourself? Any link to instructions on how to cut and glue a tarp to the shape you want?

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yes, made the sail myself in about 2 hours using the good parts of an old winter cover and 2 sided carpet tape. Cost was maybe around $10. It works pretty well too.

There are quite a few online resources and books that cover polytarp sails, but Duckworks has a pretty good over view here. Making a Polytarp Sail

First time sail makers can get kits from a company called Polysail International with instructions and materials, price is a little over $100. I haven't used them myself, but I have heard good things.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,500 Posts
Yes, made the sail myself in about 2 hours using the good parts of an old winter cover and 2 sided carpet tape. Cost was maybe around $10. It works pretty well too.
Thanks Arcb,

I have more sails and tarps than I know what to do with. My last boat purchase came with a larger sail inventory than I believe my last 4 boats combined had. I also have 3 different canoe/kayak sails.

I have been doing a lot of camping and creating custom tarps for boat covers and camping shelters would be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Update. She is starting to look more like a boat and less like a collection of lumber and parts.

- I have increased sail area from 27 to 49 square feet and switched from polytarp to dacron.
-I have moved the mast step forward to the original Grumman factory position which allows for through bolted mast step and mast partner. I found during test sails, glued (5200) mast steps were unreliable.
-added the cheap inflatable amas on an 8 ft 1.25 inch aluminum aka, which gives me an estimated +160 pounds of righting moment.
-Also used the aka to.mount the pivoting lee board on. I did have the leeboard mounted on the partner, but that put my CLR too far forward and the boat wouldn't balance right.
20200713_172510.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Got out testing this new and improved rig today. About 10 knots of wind or so.

She was fast. Acceleration was almost beach cat like. Boat only weighs 75 pounds and has a 16 foot water line.

But she was also really squirlley to sail. One minute rounding up hard, the next uncontrollably bearing off. This made what could otherwise have been reasonable progress to weather, more like just holding my own.

I attribute this squirlley behaviour, at least in part, to not having a rudder and trying to steer with paddle.
Screenshot_20200714-182638_Messenger.jpg

Looks like I am going to need to add a rudder. No big surprise there, but not really sure about engineering a rudder for such an awkward stern shape.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Polynesians used steering oars lashed to the sides of their canoe. Some had two oars, one at each end, others just moved the oar to the other end of the boat when they shunted.

I'd suggest looking at making a good lashing / loop attached to the seats of the canoe and use a steering oar inserted into the loop. If you're able to, you can fix the lashings to the actual bow or stern instead which will make steering easier.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,500 Posts
Here is my setup.

The twin rudders on it are mounted on a cross bar much like you did for the amas. There is like Capt Len described an oarlock on the tiller and a pin hole in the cross arm. You need leverage to pry against.

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
That looks like a "sailboats to go" set up?

I was looking at some of their steering and leeboard solutions. It seems like pretty good bang for the buck. Do you find the steering arrangement pretty good?

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,500 Posts
That looks like a "sailboats to go" set up?

I was looking at some of their steering and leeboard solutions. It seems like pretty good bang for the buck. Do you find the steering arrangement pretty good?
I would not know. It was the first time using it. it worked fine in the driveway.

I bought the whole setup 2 years ago and use the duckey regularly but never set up the sail rig till that day. The day I was going to try it out was uncharacteristically low wind. Hopefully, I will get to try it out this week.

·
Super Moderator
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Well these are cool. Canoe gudgeons. $18 for a set including hardware. I have an old sabbot rudder and tiller in my garage that should work nicely.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts