SailNet Community banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The dog and I are weathering a pretty good thunderstorm in it right now. Its holding up pretty well. Just had to put our bags on the windward side to keep the corners from folding in.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Complicated socially distant visit with grandparents.

Not sure I could swing a backstay with a home made poly tarp sprit rig.
The sprit rig is surprisingly effective on the canoe. I went with almost a square shape to get the CE down as low as possible.

Didn't run a GPS today, so don't know what speed I hit, but the Grumman was throwing a substantial wake, so I am guessing over hull speed, in some pretty light winds too. Don't expect much performance to weather though.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yes, made the sail myself in about 2 hours using the good parts of an old winter cover and 2 sided carpet tape. Cost was maybe around $10. It works pretty well too.

There are quite a few online resources and books that cover polytarp sails, but Duckworks has a pretty good over view here. Making a Polytarp Sail

First time sail makers can get kits from a company called Polysail International with instructions and materials, price is a little over $100. I haven't used them myself, but I have heard good things.
 

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Yes, made the sail myself in about 2 hours using the good parts of an old winter cover and 2 sided carpet tape. Cost was maybe around $10. It works pretty well too.
Thanks Arcb,

I have more sails and tarps than I know what to do with. My last boat purchase came with a larger sail inventory than I believe my last 4 boats combined had. I also have 3 different canoe/kayak sails.

I have been doing a lot of camping and creating custom tarps for boat covers and camping shelters would be awesome.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Update. She is starting to look more like a boat and less like a collection of lumber and parts.

- I have increased sail area from 27 to 49 square feet and switched from polytarp to dacron.
-I have moved the mast step forward to the original Grumman factory position which allows for through bolted mast step and mast partner. I found during test sails, glued (5200) mast steps were unreliable.
-added the cheap inflatable amas on an 8 ft 1.25 inch aluminum aka, which gives me an estimated +160 pounds of righting moment.
-Also used the aka to.mount the pivoting lee board on. I did have the leeboard mounted on the partner, but that put my CLR too far forward and the boat wouldn't balance right.
 

Attachments

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
Top