SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there pass on their experience with SunSail sailing schools, especially the Tampa Bay branch. I''m considering a one week school with them this summer and don''t want to go in blind. Thanks, Dave...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just signed up with off-shore sailing in St.Petersburg. The top sailing school in the world website: http://www.offshore-sailing.com/
I am going in June for a 9 day fast-track sailing system learn on a 26 and 44 ft boat.
Have fun

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the process of relocating to the Seattle area and I have always wanted to learn to sail. Does anyone know of a good sailing school or club for beginners in the area? Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sail camp for kids?
Anybody familiar with a residential sailing-focused camp where my 11 year old could go this summer? He''s been away from home before & is a good travel, sat in on ASA classes with me & spouse, would like to learn to sail on his own before getting his own boat. We live in the southwestern USA (New Mexico) so someplace in CA would be easier to get to than Maine, etc. Pat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well If you are interested I live in tacoma and I have a great program for you if you are interested, im wondering how old are you? I am on crew on a 90ft yawl the odyssey, and thats were I was trained, e-mail me back where you live and some info on yourself and I might be able to help you out

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahoy, jmig7. You might get the 46 foot Hunter. Great school, good instructors, lots of boat handling. You''ll have a ball. Take some 45SPF. You''ll be in the sun a lot. I did that course out of Fort Lauderdale. Great people, good boats, lots of fun, excellent skills development. That 26 foot Colgate was specifically designed by Steve Colgate for basic keelboat training. It is excellent for that. Good Luck. Have Fun.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correction to my 12-12. I said "out of Fort Lauderdale", I meant St. Pete. Was thinking about Fort Lauderdale at the time. Freudian slip. Regards. dhd

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have any experience with Off shore sailing school or Womanship sailing school? I''m turning 50 in 2002 and want to take sailing lessons.
Thanks,
Janice

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts
Both have good teaching reputations. Years ago, I ended up anchored next to a Womanship boat. Having taught sailing myself, I was very impressed at the teaching style, clear presentation and content being covered. The teachers were clearly tailoring the information to the wide audience they had on board which included women who apparently had never sailed, to women who had some sailing experience but were trying to get ''certified''. (They had a chat in the cockpit and we were in clear earshot.) The only negatives that I have heard about Womenship is that several years back they went through an economic crisis and that some people were stuck for deposits when Womanship cancelled because they did not have a boat available. I don''t know much about the specifics of the situation and I assume that they have straightened the problem by now but it is worth an inquiry.

Steve Colgate''s Offshore sailing scholl has a very good reputation for teaching sailing basics. His wife''s book, which is titled so as it indicate that it is intended to teach woman to sail, is actually one of my favorite ''learn to sail'' books for any gender.

At least from what I''ve seen and heard Womanship seems to be focused on building basic skills and cruising skills. Offshore sailing school seems a little more focused on boat handling skills and the perhaps a slightly higher level of sailing proficiency. I do think that the boats used at Offshore are better suited as a teaching platform.

The other school that I like is J-World. They are focused toward teaching performance oriented sailing. Without knowing you it is hard to say which is right for you.

Regards
Jeff

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts
BTW welcome to the over 50 crowd. I did that in 2000. I really hated getting AARP advertisments but boy are the AARP discounts on rental cars super.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been internet shopping also for a sailing school. I am seriously considering one conducted in the BVI for 7 days by Womanship. I also am 50+. I thought learning to sail in such a WARM location sounded like a vacation and a learning experience all in one. I am from the cold midwest and need a little warmth and sunshine. I am interested in the information you receive.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jeff_H for the info on the schools. I have never sailed before so whichever school really starts at the beginning would probably be best for me. I''m really nervous about it too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try this one, they have a good line up of cruises. www.sailing-learning-vacations.com
There are women only sails.
Louise

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just posted this one, but noticed your ad. www.sailing-learning-vacations.com has some sails scheduled for the BVI and I think one or two of them are Women only sails. Although that''s not all they offer. They have a decent website that is easily to get around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bellinghan WA. has a School they sail around the San Juan Islands,A great place to sail,
in the Seattle area on Lake Union I''m sure you"ll find a couple schools. Get use to the Rain and Gray Skys!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this seems weird, but I''m reaching for help here to wherever I may or may not be able to find it.
My mother began sailing through womanship, which I''ve seen on your site. She loved it. She loved it so much that she got her captain''s license then went back to Annapolis to work for womanship. She worked for them and was owed $1400. It''s her birthday, and she has no home nor address. She''s living out of her car. So, she told my brother and I to send her her presents to womanship and she would pick them up along with her paycheck. Today is now her birthday and she went to get her presents and her paycheck, which should have been there last week. But a woman, Suzanne Pogel (who owns the company), stole it all. Now she has no money and no presents on her birthday. It''s her first birthday away from us and we miss her. I have receipts for the packages, but no insurance. This is horrible! What kind of person would do such a thing? If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it so much. My mother''s life has been more than a tough one, and she was finally balancing out and beginning to be happy. Now, because of this woman, she only has $20 to her name and no presents. Suzanne won''t take my calls, and we have no money for a lawyer. Does anyone know what I can do? Please. I''m desperate.
Sincerely,
Stephanie Parker

·
Senior Moment
1,931 Posts
Seems you''ve skipped one step. Assuming there is "theft" involved, call the Annapolis Police Department at 410-268-9000. That is probably the best advice anyone here could give you based on your email.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with the above, contact the local police department. Not only that, but the city of Annapolis is home to at least a few maritime lawyer firms. Try contacting one of those, someone may be able to put your mom in touch with a legal aid society they could work in conjunction with. From personal experience, there is never a case when you cannot afford a lawyer, there are more than enough aid societies willing to take on a deserving case. Other than that, contact the Better Business Bureau and the local Equal Employment office and file complaints. First, tho, have your mom call the police on them.

Tho I''m sure we don''t know the whole story, I feel for your mom. While I have no experience with Womanship, I have more than a couple of friends who worked for SunSail in the mid nineties and were totally, um, screwed with absolutely no recompense because of the incorrect filing of their working papers and such.

I sincerely hope your mother gets this straightened out. If she does have her captain''s license, maybe a good private owner will pick her up.

Best of luck,
MaryBeth

1 - 19 of 19 Posts