SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best place to get sailing clothing from. (bang for your buck)

what recomendations do people have for companies to go with.

Im looking for some waterproof non slip shoes, waterproof hard shell jacket, and waterproof bib pants

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
Where will you be sailing? Offshore? Coastal? Great Lakes?

We've found good prices in the sale section of APS on last year's clothing.

Offshore I'd bite the bullet and get the expensive, made for those conditions clothes and shoes. Conditions can be bad enough without throwing in cold and wet clothing to the mix.

Inland I make do with my everyday bad weather clothes.

I bought a pair of Dubarry shoes at the boat show and made the mistake of wearing them to work one day. I darn near faceplanted on the lobby floor they were so sticky. I splurged for those times we sail to a meeting I can just jump off the boat and head indoors. I've tried Sebago and Sperry and while I love the shoes and the price, my feet protest quite painfully. Mostly I wear Keens or Crocs on the boat.

Reactions: jackdale

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of my sailing is great Lakes but after the incident this past weekend I really need some good waterproof sailing gear the great Lakes can't get crazy very quickly especially in a regatta

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been looking at the gul line of gear their prices are good and I would think their product is durable

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Are you mainly concerned about foul weather gear or everything else?

Donna has good advice.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm looking for good waterproof gear for when **** hits the fan during a race. I have been looking for boots jacket and bibs pants

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water temp was 13 degrees in Lake Ontario this weekend so I want some thing that will help me last of I were to fall in even though I was wearing a harness

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Small boat racing and big boat racing require gear.

When I did some dinghy racing in Alberta I wore my dive wet suit. It was fine.

On a big boat good quality foul weather gear and boots (I also treat myself to Dubarry boots) are a must.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Water temp was 13 degrees in Lake Ontario this weekend so I want some thing that will help me last of I were to fall in even though I was wearing a harness
Most of my sailing is great Lakes but after the incident this past weekend I really need some good waterproof sailing gear the great Lakes can't get crazy very quickly especially in a regatta
Donna is on the right track as long as you stay on the boat. Falling overboard is a different matter. If that is your concern you should be wearing an automatically inflatable PFD. Check the buoyancy on the ones you look at and consider the weight of sodden clothing, including foul weather gear.

Look at float coats, depending on your role on the boat. Showing up to race foredeck in a float coat is a good way to end up on the dock. If you are on the rail or in the afterguard it doesn't make as much difference.

Layers are everything. You can have layers to keep you warm, keep you dry, and keep you afloat.

What was the incident?

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
As an aside.

When dinghy racing wear an foamy pfd, on a big boat wear an inflatable with a harness.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you fall in you are going to be cold unless you are wearing a dry suit...which is really overkill most of the time. Waterproof does not mean that you are sealed.

Helly Hanson makes a great waterproof bib that is very comfortable. They also make great jackets, although I use a North Face yellow waterproof jacket that works great. Under both of these the weather dictates the layers. I have boots but rarely use them as I prefer other boat shoes and always have more than one pair with me.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
I have foul weather gear and appreciate it's abrasion resistance, but it find myself never wearing it and wearing camping clothes instead. So I recommend REI, Moosejaw, or Sierra trading post.

The problem is sailing clothes and huge and heavy and uncomfortable. I'm really into sports clothes and I think foulies are some of the worst designed high end sports clothes. Rock climbing/camping clothes and just so much lighter and easier to move in. Arcteryx is my favourite and they have abrasion patches on the butt and knees often.

I think unless you are going offshore, in bad weather for days on end you don't need bibs and a huge jacket. It's also not very warm for how big it is. Take the Gill os1. Is has not thermal, it's just a shell. But it's probably heavier and bulkier than an arcteryx shell, mid AND base layer. And arcteryx has all sorts of cinch and adjustment points to cover your head and face. They also make different lever of pants that do come all the way up in bib form.

I'm not an arcteryx salesman, but I brought a lot of clothes on my last two trips including sailing specific clothes and the only sailing clothes I wore was the summer weight ones.

·
bell ringer
5,128 Posts
there's clothes JUST for sailing :eek:

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Oh, and lastly, people are always concerned about stowage. Whether you are on an extended voyage for three months or eight people are climbing aboard a race boat for an overnighter. You can only carry so much stuff. A light but sturdy camping shell packs down to the size or a grapefruit, an offshore jacket packs down to the size of a basketball and a half.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like Columbia. It is fast drying, and wears really well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts