March 14, 2014 12:00 AM
FAIRHAVEN — A fire in a catamaran at the Moby Dick Marina destroyed the boat and caused a curiosity backup on nearby I-195 Thursday afternoon.
Fairhaven and New Bedford firefighters responded to the blaze which destroyed the Pretty Joe [Pretty Gee], a 25-foot catamaran [it was a 28-foot TRImaran], just before 1 p.m., Fairhaven Fire Department spokesman Wayne Oliveira said.
Firefighters at the scene said they did not know who owns the sailboat. [ the boat was owned by SailingDog, and the FD called him while he was at lunch] Oliveira also said he did not have a dollar value of the damage.
He said it would take some time to find the cause of the fire because there was no work being done on the craft at the time and the fuel and battery had been shut down for the winter.
The boat was sitting on blocks close to the harbor at the time of the fire. The boat next to it also suffered some heat exposure damage, Oliveira said.
Smoke from the fire caused a backup on I-195 when drivers slowed to look at the blaze as they crossed over the harbor next to the marina.
— ARIEL WITTENBERG
I am not aware of this. Can you tell us more? What exactly is meant by "a drying type of oil."A general note of caution: a drying type of oil that remains in a bunched up rag can cause a fire through self ignition. I am not saying this is what happened here but rather that people should be aware of this potential fire hazard.
Some solvents and oils can cause spontaneous combustion. That is why in shops they have the metal red cans with the thick flip top lids. Not sure what kinds, but I know it was drummed into our heads in High School shop class that you put all rags into the red buckets. I never understood how it happens, just one of those things that gets into your head. I think I remeber it had something to do with drying oils oxidizing.I am not aware of this. Can you tell us more? What exactly is meant by "a drying type of oil."