SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
19,485 Posts
That really is bad news, very sorry to hear it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So sorry to see/hear this, it takes awhile to get back up after a knockdown like this, i know how it feels, lost my house awhile back to fire , it's really a horrific feeling, to walk out of the house like you have a hundred times before everything is fine, and then come back to this, it's like being hit in the guts with a club, i hope everything is alright (mentally i mean) it's easy to say a bunch of crap about stiff upper lip, don't beat yourself up, everything will be okay eventually, but i didn't want to hear any of that stuff when it happened to me so I'll just stick with I'm sorry this happened to him. it's nice he has some support from people around here, that may help.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Oh man - that seriously sucks. As one who lost a boat last year due to a freak incident, he has my sincere condolences.

Hang in there Dog. Get another boat and keep sailing.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Wow that's rough.

That was probably one of the most cared-for boats I know of.

Sad day SD (if you ever read this), really sorry to hear it especially with the intangible and irreplaceable loss this holds for you. Hope you find a good way to get it all back.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Oh man... that is awful... :(
But at least you are alive, unharmed. It could have happened while you were asleep and that would have been so much worse.
You will get another boat and sail again. Lots of great bargains out there for handy sailors like you.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
On any level that is a crying shame. Very sad to hear indeed.

Jonesy .... from your message it would appear you are in contact with Dan ? I am, shall we say, somewhat on the outer with him but please extend commiserations specifically from me, but also from all the Mods.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
I don't have word to express my sadness about this news...

I knew Dan, and have some idea of what this boat meant to him. Pretty Gee was named after Dan's late wife. He put his heart & soul into that boat.

Dan's blog/website does not allow me to send him messages there. I have tried several times. I also know that SailingDog doesn't participate here any more. However, in case Dan pokes his nose back into to SailNet, I want him to know that he is welcome to a sail on Far Niente.

Dan - Send me a PM.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Dan hasn't logged on here in over twelve months so he's not only not posting he's not even having a quick peek.

Maine's link to SBsonline may be the place to check up on Dan.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
From South Coast Today with my corrections;
March 14, 2014 12:00 AM
FAIRHAVEN - A fire in a catamaran at the Moby Dick Marina destroyed the boat and caused a curiosity backup on nearby I-195 Thursday afternoon.

Fairhaven and New Bedford firefighters responded to the blaze which destroyed the Pretty Joe [Pretty Gee:rolleyes:], a 25-foot catamaran [it was a 28-foot TRImaran], just before 1 p.m., Fairhaven Fire Department spokesman Wayne Oliveira said.

Firefighters at the scene said they did not know who owns the sailboat. [:confused: the boat was owned by SailingDog, and the FD called him while he was at lunch] Oliveira also said he did not have a dollar value of the damage.

He said it would take some time to find the cause of the fire because there was no work being done on the craft at the time and the fuel and battery had been shut down for the winter.

The boat was sitting on blocks close to the harbor at the time of the fire. The boat next to it also suffered some heat exposure damage, Oliveira said.

Smoke from the fire caused a backup on I-195 when drivers slowed to look at the blaze as they crossed over the harbor next to the marina.

- ARIEL WITTENBERG

·
Registered
85 Posts
A general note of caution: a drying type of oil that remains in a bunched up rag can cause a fire through self ignition. I am not saying this is what happened here but rather that people should be aware of this potential fire hazard.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
A general note of caution: a drying type of oil that remains in a bunched up rag can cause a fire through self ignition. I am not saying this is what happened here but rather that people should be aware of this potential fire hazard.
I am not aware of this. Can you tell us more? What exactly is meant by "a drying type of oil."

Thanks

MedSailor

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I am not aware of this. Can you tell us more? What exactly is meant by "a drying type of oil."

Thanks

MedSailor
Some solvents and oils can cause spontaneous combustion. That is why in shops they have the metal red cans with the thick flip top lids. Not sure what kinds, but I know it was drummed into our heads in High School shop class that you put all rags into the red buckets. I never understood how it happens, just one of those things that gets into your head. I think I remeber it had something to do with drying oils oxidizing.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts