SailNet Community banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
The overland distance is about 2700 miles. If you were to walk, you could get there in about 135 days and use the time and money you'd save to buy a new boat when you arrive. If you leave tomorrow, you'd get to Miami in time for the Presidents Day sheet and towel sales
20 miles a day each day, everyday for 135 days. Cut a trail . Ultra light pack ? Train with a few day hikes just to find the right shoe for the trip. A hand held GPS just blaze a trail. Why waste time the shortest way is a straight line.
Lets make this a real long hot debate should he pack a gun for protection :laugher
This poor dude walk, Run, sail, swim, Will he post and let us know if he makes it?
Good Day :laugher Lou

·
Registered
4,594 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Right on, Lou 452. The great circle route from Long Beach to Miami is 2,327 miles. Should he carry his gun during the swim for LA to FL?

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Well We may have made the OP run or swim for it ?
I hope he makes up his own mind. More to it I hope what ever level of sailing is decided upon, fun enjoyment and learning is the end result ! We would just stay home and mold with out taking some risk. Take stock and take care fair winds.
Kind Regards, Lou

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
LWL 21.67' (feet)?
Theoretical hull speed 1.34 * sqrt 21.67 = 6.2 kts. When heeling, a bit more of the stern might get in the water, and with SA/D of 20, the boat might actually do pretty well downwind in nice breeze.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
it does extremely well downwind...just like the cal 40 surfed the pacific and still does competitively today!

the excalibur surfed mighty well

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow - just happened upon this thread and ended up reading the whole thing...and I don't know of the OP went ahead and did it or not. WTF. So....what happens!??? Hellooooooo???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Scottie55, crazy amount of responses and all over the board. I just made the trip from Pensacola, FL to Corpus Christi, TX. 700nm or more, 6 days, no experience, during hurricane season, on a boat I just bought. My 27 year old daughter, me and one experienced crewman on a Cape Dory 36. We had a beautiful experience. I have my iNavX points if you'd like them plus hourly logs with positionings. Not sure how you're going to stay awake to keep from hitting oil rigs, but it's shallow enough in a lot of areas to anchor.
Zeehag has a great attitude and I'd love to meet her. I'd lean towards her advice. Do your research, prepare for the worst, hope for the best and F'g GO!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I want to make the same trip...Long Beach to Tampa and found this old thread.
My god there are a lot of pussies on here. Maybe all the real sailors are sailing instead of typing.
Really if you just want to be safe and have the least hassles why the hell would you want to sail? Just stay home and watch movies about it. Zeehag is one of the few that isn't whining and naysaying here. Wonder if the OP ever made it?

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Go sailing. Get beat up a couple of times. Have things go south on you. Then come back and we can talk. The blue water sailors who posted on this thread have been there and done that. Paid heed to their concerns or not at your peril.
(Sorry just tired of some people blowing smoke at mirrors. Going east from Panama is a difficult voyage).

There are old sailors.
There are bold sailor.
But very few old, bold sailors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Duly noted, and I do respect the experience of other sailors. I just get tired of people disrespecting OPs questions by giving answers to questions they didn't ask. If somebody asks for advice on going from SD to Miami via Panama, the answers shouldn't be to trailer it there. I asked about sailing from Long Beach to SF and got the same type of replies. One guy said I had to sail to HI then tack. Hey, I know it's going against wind and current but Dana's book talked about doing it in the 1830s so.... I guess I just assume that if you are sailing you already like to do things the hard way, so the answers should be about how.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
People do sail north east then go down the chain to go Panama to BVi or windwards. People on small boats cross mid Florida to go Mexico to east coast Florida. Lots of ways to skin the cat. Generally speaking always a good idea to avoid going against both wind and wave.
Personally have detoured ~1000 miles to Bahamas to go Antigua to Newport and avoid weather. It’s not being a wooze but being smart.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts