SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Columbia 26 at Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard. I am preparing it to sail down to a new slip at Marina del Rey in Los Angeles.

I would like as much information on this trek as possible. About how long will this sail take? Any useful/helpful information for before we push off or while we are out there? Anything to watch out for or be especially aware of? Anything extra we should bring other than the required safety equipment, warm layers, food, water?

Thanks ahead of time for any valuable information.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
I just bought a Columbia 26 at Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard. I am preparing it to sail down to a new slip at Marina del Rey in Los Angeles.

I would like as much information on this trek as possible. About how long will this sail take? Any useful/helpful information for before we push off or while we are out there? Anything to watch out for or be especially aware of? Anything extra we should bring other than the required safety equipment, warm layers, food, water?

Thanks ahead of time for any valuable information.
From the breakwater at Channel Islands Harbor to the breakwater at Marina Del Rey is about 45 miles staying a few miles off shore. It's mostly down wind and off the wind from Pt. Dume south/east so an easy sail. On your boat figure 8-9 hours. Carry enough fuel in case the wind goes flat and join BoatUS signing up for the Gold (unlimited) or Saltwater Towing Plan before you leave, just in case you do need a tow.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
It's a pretty easy sail. Just stay to the east of the traffic lanes, but far enough off shore to catch some wind (if the wind is light that day). Once you round Pt. Dume the wind may slack off quite a bit, so to keep a good breeze, you might want to sail a little further south than a direct course to MDR would normally take you. When you get the the MDR entrance watch the traffic and take the line other sailboats are taking as they enter, as it can shoal a bit around the edges of both the north and south entrances.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts