SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Sailnet members:

I was considering chartering in Majorca with another family next summer. Two of us are experienced flotilla and weekend sailors. A friend who lives in Spain warned me off, saying the island is completely overdeveloped and crowded, saying Minorca is a much better bet. We only have a week. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Your friend is right. Minorca is nicer but it depends on what you like regarding cruising. On Minorca almost there is no Marinas, except Mahon and even there it is dificult to find a place. Minorca is for the ones that like to stay on anchor and for that you have plenty of places.

Mallorca has also some good places to anchor even if the smaller are crowded in the summer and the big ones are not completely crowded because they are really big.:D Lots of Marinas but the prices are high, I mean really high.

A last word of advice, Minorca can be windy and the Mistral can reach there. It will not be a problem on the Island because it is small and you can always chose the South side but if you Charter the boat in Mallorca and sail it to Minorca it is better to see previously how is going to be the weather on the return date.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts