SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with sailing in this area? My husband and I have a shallow draft (3&1/2 ft.) 31 footer, and are considering moving to this area, but prefer to limit our sailing to protected water. Are we out of luck? Looks like you pretty much have to jump right out into the ocean. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Your draft would allow for plenty of space in protected water of the Cape Fear River, but the added dynamic of strong currents plus ship and ferry traffic would not allow for much leisure sailing. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This helps a bunch...certainly do not see us darting in and around freighters and the like! Might have to keep her up on the Neuse, maybe the south side opposite Oriental. What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know Wilmington, but Immrama, my Tartan 30 is in Oriental and it is a great place to dash out for an afternoon sail or as a start for longer. The Neuse and much of the Pamlico Sound is shallow, no problem with your boat, and it can get choppy depending on the wind and direction. I love the area and there are lots of boats, sailors, and resources. Come on up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts