SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOG Powerduo Assist: Easy to stick in your front pocket where it's easy to reach and smaller and lighter than the average multitool. The pliers with built in wire clippers are strong and used frequently from stuck shackles to stuck knots. They have a nice "needle nose" taper. The screw drivers are functional and the bottle opener is a required feature for me!:D
Unlike other multitools the blade is substantial in size and sharp. It can be flipped open with just the thumb of the one hand its in. Though not serrated, it cuts rope well. Also has tweezers and a toothpick to boot.

Just got this Mora knive for about 15 bucks from amazon on the recommendation of a friend. Without a doubt, this is a top quality knife and is going to be an emergency knife to keep handy on the boat. It has a serrated edge but toward the point the blade is straight and is sharp as heck straight from the factory. It has a great feel and nice rubber grip. I also bought a non-serrated one (its blue) to keep in my garage. Mora's are made in Sweden and though you can find plenty of knock-offs on the internet, these original are easily worth their low price.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
No pic but I have a leatherman squirt in addition to a couple of other knives I carry. The squirt has wire strippers. As it is a pretty tiny multi it's an easy add for me.

I do like the sgo above.

·
Censored4 your protection
192 Posts
C..R.K.T, Ed Halligan Neck P.E.C.K.
It wont rust, wont ever fall out of my pocket while swimming or diving. Is wicked sharp and weighs almost nothing.

I also gave one to my buddy who crews with me alot. He liked mine so much I figured what a killer birthday gift...

Almost had to use it once when I could not get the main halyard down but mostly its jobs are cutting salami, cheese and opening sausage packages..
I also keep real tools in the boat but I like knowing if I ever need a knife no matter what its right there at my side.

Like the boyscouts say, be prepared.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I also gave one to my buddy who crews with me alot. He liked mine so much I figured what a killer birthday gift...
Lets hope it does not become a real killer birthday gift!

I had a Leatherman knife that I carried every day for years. Likely the sharpest folding knife I have ever had but the tip broke. It held it's edge a very long time as well. I noticed that they have a 25 year warranty, so I sent it back. It was totally my fault that it broke as I was gently prying something. Well that knife is discontinued so they substituted a Skeletool multi-tool and I like it a lot. Much better quality than the previous SOG and Gerber by far. Actually they were not even in the same quality range at all. Neither one had a knife that would get sharp and the pliers hinge is much better. I do miss my old knife though, may have to see if I can find another NOS. I don't like there current folders.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Twice, TWICE, I've lost my Leatherman to airport security. I wear it all the time so I forget that it's on. And I've been to a couple concerts where the bouncers consider them weapons and won't let it in. Once I just stashed it under some litter in the bushes and got it back after the show.

I prefer the Leatherman Wave. Good selection of tools, well-built, can open and close the blade with one hand, and it's got a ruler on one side.

I need to buy another one because a couple weeks ago I put the holder on my belt upside down. Because I'm smart. Anyway, it fell out someplace. I've really been missing it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I keep an NRS Co-Pilot attached to my life vest:

I carry a Spyderco Manix everywhere else:

Except that the Co-Pilot does not have a pointy blade (to prevent punctures), neither is particularly 'sailing oriented". The OP's powerduo looks like a nice addition.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
I have my father's buck knife, with marlin spike (locking)... Blade has been sharpened so many times it has an inverse curve to it. this is the generic picture, the actual knife is on the boat.

·
Barquito
3,659 Posts
Twice, TWICE, I've lost my Leatherman to airport security. I wear it all the time so I forget that it's on.
Off topic for a second. I was talking to my brother last night, who works in the TSA at O'Hare. If you have this happen and have time, run to a mailbox and mail it back to yourself. Possibly keep enough postage in your luggage to do this.

OK, back to the thread.

How do you guys like to attach knives (and other things) to yourself?
On the lifejacket?
Belt?
Lanyard?
Pocket?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Off topic for a second. I was talking to my brother last night, who works in the TSA at O'Hare. If you have this happen and have time, run to a mailbox and mail it back to yourself. Possibly keep enough postage in your luggage to do this.

OK, back to the thread.

How do you guys like to attach knives (and other things) to yourself?
On the lifejacket?
Belt?
Lanyard?
Pocket?
Front right pocket. I often get asked, "Is that a multitool in your pocket or are you just glad to see me".

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Buck knife has a nice belt sheath.. So it may look pretty ugly, but its always handy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I haven't figured out how to attach this baby to my belt... w/o pulling my shorts down.

Some rope loops sewn to the shorts, a few snap shackles, a bit of line, a few eye splices and you've got yourself a dandy pair of nautical lookin' suspenders that could double as a safety harness, and hold up that monstrosity!

Have FUN!
O'

·
Censored4 your protection
192 Posts
my set up uses the lanyard and a belt clip.
left leg goes through lanyard and belt clip goes over shorts. This way when you "pull" the knife even if you garab and pull VS deploy with thumb and fingers the sheath is not lost.

Only drawback is if your shirt covers the handle it qualifies as a concealed weapon in California.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts