SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into some liveaboard folks while on a canoe trip that dumped out into the Great Lakes who convinced me to by a sailboat... The rest is history, bought an old 1970s Venture 25 last fall and pretty much redid it top to bottom over the winter, took on some jobs like recoring decks, rewiring, building a hybrid composting head with pump out holding tank and a bunch of other stuff, still working on getting good video and learning the whole video editing part. So much to learn about boats, rigging, sailing, engines, navigation, weather, communications... Sailing just brings so many different skills both scientific and artistic into one focal point. Such a great resource here!

Coming from canoe tripping where I could carry a month's food and supplies in a 16 foot boat, 25 feet is like an ocean liner and I could be out all summer.

Just popping in on smaller waterways close to home base right now, but hope to be out on lake Ontario and Huron later this summer.

Everyone has their cause, I hope in my small way I can work to cutting down on single use plastics and other micro plastics going into the waterways.

Thanks

BJ

·
Registered
999 Posts
Welcome aboard, Sailing Last Straw....sailing and sailboat ownership does indeed provide an opportunity to exercise a wide range of talents! Sounds like you've already done some pretty involved work on your boat. Goodonya for trying to make a positive difference with plastics, too!

We would all enjoy seeing pics and hearing stories of your projects and summer adventures.

·
Super Moderator
4,238 Posts
Good stuff. We do both sailing a canoe tripping as well. Actually drinking my coffee beside the fire on a short canoe trip right now.

It's true, alongside a canoe, a 25 ft sailboat feels like a megayacht.

We are also in the Lake Ontario area.

·
Old soul
4,545 Posts
Welcome last of the straws :wink, it sounds like your trajectory is very similar to mine. My spouse and I were long time wilderness canoeists. When we moved to northern Ontario we also began sea kayaking.

I recall while on a two week paddle along the shores of Lake Superior that I first encountered a cruising sailboat. We were slogging along in wind, seas and rain, and this couple was sipping coffee, all nicely anchored and comfortable, in this small anchorage.

The rest, as they say, is history.

BTW, which river were you paddling in your story?

·
Master Mariner
8,369 Posts
And I thought this post was gonna be about the last plastic straw Colorado sold and sailing it down the river for old time's sake. lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
The V-25 is a fun boat for what you are doing without all the complexity and systems of the big boats. I lived for 5 years on a 27 foot boat and that was very adequate. You are off to a lot of fun adventures. Congrats!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts