SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is Lavranos L26 a good starter boat?

Hi all

I am new to sailing and have been reviewing the many yachts for sale over the last few months. I initially wanted to buy a bigger yacht 34 - 40ft, but decided to start small. With this in mind I hope to see if this is for me - or not.

I am considering a L26 Lavranos to start with. I know I can not do any heavy sailing. Is this a recommended boat for a starter?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Most posters here will not know the L26. These guys seem to think it is well-suited to conditions you're likely to encounter in South Africa: SA Yacht Blog: L26 (Lavranos 26) It may be a touch "sporty" for a beginner, because of it's racing background, but you can adjust for that by going out in less windy conditions. The solid glass layup makes delamination less of a possible problem, but even so, you need to inspect the boat carefully for wear and damage. These are old boats that have probably been used a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paul. Thank you for the info. I purchased this yacht yesterday, and did do a check. I did do an inspection, and I was extremely impressed with how this boat has been maintained. I have seen a few ones over the last months that I could clearly see it will cost me almost as much for repairs as what the asking price is. I will have to do some maintenance here and there, but it is to be expected.

I have read a few blogs where people talks about it's capabilities, and I'm now even more impressed. I will however first take on the more calmer waters. Now I have to get up to speed with sailing terminology and build up some experience.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts