SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to sail from Miami to Bahamas this summer. This is my FIRST time leaving US and going to another country via boat. I want to go to Nasau. How do I find the procedures and locations for checking in? Are there any crazy fees? I have seen "cruising fee" mentioned regarding Bahamas. I am renting a bareboat cat, which may be considered a commercial vessel instead of a "pleasure boat" because it is hired. Everything is clear as mud and I don't want my vacation ruined because of some bureaucratic mix up on my part. I could probably spend days online and figure it out. But I am hoping someone here can be kind enough to help me shorten the learning curve.

My Plan... I would like to anchor somewhere along Paradise Island, take the dingy in, and do a day pass at Atlantis with my kids. Also cruise around the islands a couple days and return to Miami. Is this possible, or am I dreaming?

Any advice on this or other aspects of this plan would be appreciated. I don't know what I don't know :) .

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

·
Registered
Aloha 32 & Hunter 26.5
132 Posts
The boat rental company should have most of the information you need. The last I checked, a couple of weeks ago, you had to get a covid test sent from an approved US facility directly to the Bahamian government, then once they approve you (normally same day) you have 5 days from the time of the test to arrive & check in.

Keep in mind that the gulf-stream tends to push you north by a few knots, so leave from somewhere further south than the place you want to arrive. Also beware that when you have winds out of the north, the gulf stream can really kick up & get nasty. SW wind is preferred for that short crossing.

Crusing fees are a few hundred dollars, depending on boat size. I think that 35' is the cut off between the cheap one & the more expensive one. Day passes at Atlantis may cost you more than the cruising fees. Atlantis is nice if you like a resort style vacation. They have good facilities, some fairly nice artwork, & interesting grounds. If you dinghy in at Nassau, near where the cruise ships dock, you can wander back a bit & find a bar called the bearded clam. They have free wifi & pretty good conch salad. It's where I usually go to get on the net & get weather reports. Not far from there you can find some open air markets that sell local hand crafts. At least that's the way it was pre-covid. I haven't been there since.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, where are you chartering the boat from that let you take it to the Bahamas? As many companies there don't allow you to go "abroad", I'd like to have these on my list. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't mind me asking, where are you chartering the boat from that let you take it to the Bahamas? As many companies there don't allow you to go "abroad", I'd like to have these on my list. Thanks
Well, that's another variable I am not sure of. As mentioned, this is a first for me to leave US waters. I am trying to arrange the bareboat now and that may be another show stopper in my grand plan. If I find one, I will let you know.

·
bell ringer
5,053 Posts
This sounds to me like the hardest possible way to charter a boat to anchor out to go to Atlantis. Just charter a boat in the Bahamas

Btw there us and abchorage right across from the Atlantis marina. When Harbor Control where I am going I call it the anchorage at Bay St Marina.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts