SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there is a list of must read books for sailng but nothing on movies or TV shows. I am currenty trying to find a mini series I believe it was Brittish I watched a few episodes of a few years back, but lost track of and forgot the name of. I figure it would be a good opportunity to create a list of movies and TV shows that would interest sailors.

TV

Black Sails
Hornblower

Movies

Master and Commander
Dead Calm

Keeping a running list of suggested Movies

• Master and Commander
  • Dead Calm
  • White Squall
  • Billy Budd
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (1935 for acting and story, 1962 for historical interest re; the "prop" ship)
  • Captains Courageous (great scenes of real fishing schooners racing to back to port)
  • Captain Ron
  • Message in a Bottle
  • Wind
  • Moby Dick
  • Maidentrip

·
Registered
393 Posts
Movies:
White Squall
Billy Budd
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935 for acting and story, 1962 for historical interest re; the "prop" ship)
Captains Courageous (great scenes of real fishing schooners racing to back to port)
Captain Ron
Message in a Bottle
Wind
Moby Dick
Maidentrip (yes, one word)

·
2,448 Posts
"The Knife in the Water" is interesting and does a better job of shooting on a boat than most.

·
Senior Citizen
450 Posts
Waterworld...
... isn't a great movie but the sailboat is. The rig really worked as shown. Dennis Hopper's performance is classic.
The 1937 version of Captains Courageous is the good one.
Master and Commander.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
I know there is a list of must read books for sailng but nothing on movies or TV shows.
Been there done that once or twice a year. Donna's links above only scratch the surface. *sigh*

50 First Dates doesn't make the lists very often.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How could you not include "Dead Calm" with Nicole Kidman...... and "The Captain and Commander" with Russel Crowe.....
What do you mean those were the only two movies I mentioned in the Original Post.

I know there is a list of must read books for sailng but nothing on movies or TV shows. I am currenty trying to find a mini series I believe it was Brittish I watched a few episodes of a few years back, but lost track of and forgot the name of. I figure it would be a good opportunity to create a list of movies and TV shows that would interest sailors.

TV

Black Sails
Hornblower

Movies

Master and Commander
Dead Calm

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been there done that once or twice a year. Donna's links above only scratch the surface. *sigh*

50 First Dates doesn't make the lists very often.
I apologize SVA and Donna.

I promised I searched before posting but used "Movie" in the singular and found many links to Robert Redford's latest.

My primary interest is finding the series I started a while back. Either PBS or BBC from the nature of the production I would guess. It was a sailing voyage on private ships to the new world. With all the new links hopefully I can find it.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The series wasn't Howards' Way was it? 1980's BBC thing about rich and powerful yachties.
No the show was "To the ends of the earth". I finally found it and watched the first of 3 episodes.

Here is the most comprehensive list I have found for nautical movies and thanks to it I found the TV series I was looking for. It is very extensive but Howard's way was not listed.

Nautical Movies

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Does anyone remember "Adventures in Paradise"? I remember watching this show as a kid and wanting to be Gardner McKay.

I wonder if there is a place to get these episodes.

For those who don't remember it:

"Adventures in Paradise is an American television series created by James Michener which ran on ABC from 1959 until 1962, starring Gardner McKay as Adam Troy, the captain of the schooner Tiki III, which sailed the South Pacific looking for passengers and adventure. USA Network aired reruns of this series between 1984 and 1988. The plots deal with the romantic and detective stories of Korean War veteran Troy. "

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Does anyone remember "Adventures in Paradise"? I remember watching this show as a kid and wanting to be Gardner McKay.

One of my all-time favorites!

This site shows them available. There are several sites advertising them, but they all look shady to me. The ones who responded when I asked if they would take a check (I'm a dinosaur, I like paper trails) said no. Researching the business histories shows them changing ownership several times a year. None of the searches I've done has found a satisfied customer from any of them. I'd like complete sets of "Adventures" and "Men Into Space", so if you find a reliable vendor,
*please* let us know. :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

For those who don't remember it:

"Adventures in Paradise is an American television series created by James Michener which ran on ABC from 1959 until 1962, starring Gardner McKay as Adam Troy, the captain of the schooner Tiki III, which sailed the South Pacific looking for passengers and adventure. USA Network aired reruns of this series between 1984 and 1988. The plots deal with the romantic and detective stories of Korean War veteran Troy. "
I guess us ole timers remember the schooner Tiki on Adventures in Paradise. I was wondering if anyone else here ever saw that show which I loved to watch. Another link here: Adventures in Paradise: All about the TV series...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts