SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the forum and need some advice. I'm brand new to sailing, having recently taken ASA 101 with 103 & 4 coming in March in Panama City. I plan to purchase a used coastal sailer/camper. I'm really concerned about the maintenance issues with a swing keel. I'm guessing, but it seems a dagger board would require less maintenance. The Compac 19 seems like it would be a good choice since the keel is fixed, but it's not beachable (or is it). I've seen some pretty good deals on a WWP19, and I seem to keep coming back to it, especially the bluewater hull version. How reliable is a dagger board? Would a WWP 19 be a good choice and would a boat that small make a good/safe coastal cruiser in the North Florida area around Shell Point - if you pick the right day to sail? Thanks, I'll take any and all advice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey! This has nothing to do with your post because, alas, I am an amateur. However, my husband and I are just getting into sailing and live in North Florida. We've been looking at boats on the weekends and trying to work out payment plans with people. We posted an add online saying we wanted a sailboat but couldnt pay a lump sum and had people reply with everything from 15ft sloops to a 30ft Alberger. Hopefully within the next week or two we will have a boat of our own as well.
I guess I'm just saying Hey and introducing myself. lol. That is all!
If your ever sailing through Apalachicola Bay, hit me up.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I owned a swing-keel San Juan 23 for quite a few years. Were I in the market for that sized boat I would not hesitate to get another. If it's well made the swing keel is no problem, and there are some significant benefits--like, instead of running aground the keel just swings up!

Search the internet and if the boat you are considering has a history of problems with the swing keel you should be able to figure that out pretty quickly. If it doesn't then I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I sail Apalachee Bay and think the WW19 would be an excellent choice as you could get in much closer to shore than anyone else. You could get her in by Spring Creek easily (cool place to visit). Most days, I think you'd have no probs sailing the ww19 out of Shell Point.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Psyched:
I may be looking for a larger boat than my 28' S2 soon. I have sailed her out of Shell Point and Carabelle for 20 years and with 3'10 draft she is ideal for these waters. I have sailed her to the Bahamas where she is currently at MArsh Harbor. We may be amenable to some kinda deal. My S2 loves Dog Island.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts