SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,578 Posts
Nice stuff, ice sailing is big in my city, both through it and over it. We have the worlds longest maintained skating rink (7.8km/4.8miles).

There is ice racing just down thecstreet from me, my son go down and watch, some times its ice boat sailing, sometimes it's motorcycles with studded tires, we never know until we get there.

A little trick for posting pics. Instead of posting the link. Open the the link in your browser, so you are "watching" your own vid. Then copy and paste that link from your browser and your vid will appear with a full sized thumbnail, resulting in more people watching your vid :)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Ice Boating has been around forever. The Hudson River near Poughkeepsie was the Ice boating capital here in the States.

NJ has some pretty active clubs, when there's ice.

I still have a Skate Sail in my basement. No boat, just a kite like sail that you held , ski boots with Thick Hacksaw blade blanks mounted to them.

https://youtu.be/seEvuwRJsis

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just waiting for ice here in Detroit. My little Skimmer is ready to go, along with an assortment of other toys like skis, snowboards, and kites. Just need ice! It was 50 F today. I'm not too hopeful.

(totally unrelated- One of the Boston daughters worked for me for many years. She held the DN world record several times back in the day.)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yeah we call that 'blowkart' I once hired a blowkart on the beach here, not too difficult and spectacular.
There is an incident on the books where a sailor did that with a Wind Wagon crossing Death Valley and scared off Indians attacking a wagon train. He was square rigged and had problems with maintaining helm control according to the way the account was portrayed on the Death Valley Days TV Show however I am not sure if that part is factual or poetic license.

The biggest problem Wind Wagon Thomas had was dealing with the speed that caused traditional wagon wheel bearings to heat up. Then the stink potters came with their steam trains putting an end to Wind Wagon development for transportation.
Wind Wagon History | Wind Wagon Project

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
473 Posts
I was just ice boating up in Northern Michigan last week...crazy fast, as I was radar gunned at 57 mph, or 94 kph. You have to certainly dress for the weather, but it is tons of fun if you're into that sort of thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts