SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Leap! The net will appear
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PART 1:
So there I was last weekend...sitting on a beach in Puerto Vallarta, just 500 yards from the marina entrance...watching sailboats come and go. ALL. DAY. LONG. The yearning to sail was overwhelming, and they just kept teasing me...every day. All day. I would watch one hoist their main, another fly their chute...meanwhile, I'm green with envy. How will I ever vacation on a beach again without this longing to sail? Have any of you had this experience?
Here I am, trying to pretend I'm sailing, instead of floating in a pathetic, child's inner tube I bought at the grocery store there:

PART 2:
Down the beach was a Hobie16, with gay rainbow striped sails...taunting me...winds were a perfect 15kts. The guy tells me that I don't have to trim the main (which I promptly ignored)...I rented that thing for 2 hours, just to get a fix. THE MOST FUN of the whole vacation! I had no idea how FAST those boats are...passed a 50ft boat (I admit a little too closely, on purpose) like nothing. SD, hate to say this, but have a new respect for the multi. Anyone know how fast a Hobie16 sails?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cat's are a blast

SailChick,

The 16's are a blast. I sailed on one regularly for 2 summers. The owner and I are both big guys, so we could keep the boat very flat in a lot of wind (we were harnessed on the trapeze). I don't know if you've ever flown a hull while clipped on and leaning way out over the water, but it is amazing. In answer to your "how fast?" question, I don't know. But at times I would look to the road at the edge of the lake where there is a 25 mph speed limit, and I would think we were getting close to keeping up.

Without trying to kill your buzz, I would caution that the 16's are somewhat unpredictable. One of the problems with them is that the bow's are not very buoyant. I was hurt quite seriously when we pitchpoled sailing dead downwind in a squall. Don't get me wrong, I think the boat could have been sailed safely that day, but we were in way over our heads. I don't have a lot of cat experience, but I think there are other great beach cats worth a look.

SD gets a lot of good-natured flak about the multihull thing, but I see the appeal. There is a cat sailing school near where I will be moving to next spring, and I'm seriously thinking about taking a few lessons. There may be a beach cat in my future.

·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if you've ever flown a hull while clipped on and leaning way out over the water, but it is amazing. .
The funny part is...the smallest boat I've sailed is a J/24 when I took lessons...then bought mine, which is 30ft..so small boat sailing is a completely new concept. While it was TONS of fun, I'll stick with mine...and staying dry (well, most of the time at least)!

Although, this made we want to buy a Laser (or similar) to mess around with when I visit my parents at their cottage on a lake in MI.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A well tuned Hobie 16 in a 10 knot wind will sail at over 12 knots on a beam reach. A Hobie will not point as high as a mono hull and they are kinda pigs on a run.

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
How fast was the inner tube? Can you rent those? I bet the inner tube could pass Alex.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
SailChick - I don't how many more ways I can tell you this. The answer is no. I'm NOT going to "crew" for you on your inner tube for a "fun-filled adventure" in PV. I know you keep promising the "separate quarters" thing but c'mon...it's a freakin' inner tube. So please - no more "Crew Wanted" PMs.

·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SailChick - I don't how many more ways I can tell you this. The answer is no. I'm NOT going to "crew" for you on your inner tube for a "fun-filled adventure" in PV. I know you keep promising the "separate quarters" thing but c'mon...it's a freakin' inner tube. So please - no more "Crew Wanted" PMs.
Awww, come on...it even has a heavy @ss keel to keep you safe from broaching. Separate quarters only available at onset of adventure...don't forget that. I'll try and leave you alone...but that is one long journey to take alone in this tube...lol

:laugher

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I'm not sure which one of us is supposed to have the "heavy ass keel" - but I might be feeling a little insluted here (thought that was an interesting typo, so had to leave it). Anyway, I already have something really hot lined up in Turkey. PM Sway - he's a great conversationalist. (Biiiiiiiiiiig eye roll).

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sailchick-

You know you want to sell that leadmine of yours and come over to the dark side... :)

·
560 Posts
Anyone know how fast a Hobie16 sails?
Pretty damn fast. A Hobie 16 was what I did most my sailing on as a kid. When the rigging starts humming, you're getting going. When the rigging is loud, you know your flying.

My buddy just bought a hobie18 last summer and I went out on that a few times. Jesum Crow, does that thing screw!!

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Multi's are a blast, come to the dark side little one :)

In Virgin Gorda my son rented a Hobie, I trailed him my RIB with a GPS. He was doing 14kts, unknown wind speed. He weighs in at 250lbs, and his GF was on board for another 180lbs or so. No straps, no hanging, just sitting on the side. He spent 4 hours turning into a lobster and cruising the sound.
Next week I'll be in Playa del Carmen at a resort I have a membership in doing Hobie 14's all day long:)

I've had my condo with sails up to a sustained 10.3 kts per GPS going up current in 16kts of wind, about 50 degrees off the wind. Purely accidental, got caught in a puff with my screacher up. Hull speed on Gemini 105MC is about 7.2 knts. This past summer I passed a couple mid 40 footers doing 8.7 with a couple of friends on board (40 off the wind, main and screacher in 12kts of wind). That crap about cat's not pointing is not true on a Gemini outfitted with a screacher on a traveler and asymmetric centerboards.
The picture below is of us doing just that, note how diligent we are with sail trim (all three of us on the hammock, shooting the crap while Otto drives).
Youngest son on left, friend Mike, me on right - timed photo, camera sitting on salon table - note the massive 0 degree heel).
P1010014.jpg

To be fair, the second shot shows that Chazz got up to adjust the trim on the screacher:
P1010013.jpg

The dark side isn't so dark after all once you see the light.

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
579 Posts
A well tuned Hobie 16 in a 10 knot wind will sail at over 12 knots on a beam reach. A Hobie will not point as high as a mono hull and they are kinda pigs on a run.
This past weekend while the wife and I were on a company boondoggle to Key West, we rented a Hobie Cat from the watersports place adjacent to the hotel. (The Casa Marina Resort, for those of you familiar with KW.)

The wind was blowing nicely, but it was straight off the shore from the rental shack, which led to a somewhat embarrassing finale to our sail. We headed straight out from the beach to get into more open water, there being a 500-ft. pier right next to the rental area. We had a blast zooming around out there, but I realized that it was going to be a tackfest to get back to the beach, complicated by the aforementioned pier, which cut off our port tack approach completely. :cool:

Imagine my surprise to discover that I couldn't get the beast to tack at all! She just would not come through the wind for me -- she'd come right up into the wind, shudder a little bit and then fall off again. Didn't matter how much speed I had going into the turn, the pig hung up in irons every time. :mad:

So I resorted to "wearing ship" every time, but the sad fact of the matter that the wind direction was such that while I could make good progress on the port tack, the best I could do on a starboard tack was to run almost parallel to shore. And with that 500-ft wall in my way there was no chance of cruising in on the port tack either -- stalemate! :confused:

Finally I swallowed my pride and sailed her in as close as I could get on the starboard tack, came up into the wind and flagged down one of the rental guys, who came out and pushed us in with a waverunner. :laugher

Some of you guys with lots of Hobie experience, tell me what I was doing wrong! Surely there's a way to tack those things -- I don't remember having that problem the last time I took one out.

My wife still had a great time (said it was better than a massage -- what can I say, she's a horse owner and an adrenaline junkie!), and didn't even tease me for my total FAIL! to bring the boat in. I could have parked my Newport 28 with no problem at all (without the motor, thank you), but that little cat had my number.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
With no boards and no lead mine to add momentum via mass, Hobie's tack like a barge. It's all about falling off, getting speed and not stalling the rudder. Shifting weight to get a the right hull dug in is important also, the only directional stability you have to track on is the hull and a bit of rudder. Most folks jam the tiller over and stall the rudder on a tack.
You can scull the rudder if caught in irons, mostly it just takes practice.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Hey Chuckles,

I didn't know the Three Stooges sailed? :D :laugher :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
In light winds I believe its kind of a dance. Fall off to pick up speed, ease the rudder back, move back a little to put the Leeward stern a little deeper in the water and let her go round. If you get stalled push the rudders over, backwind the main and she will come around. Having no jib can make a 14 a little harder to tack but after a bit you dont have to think about it.

·
560 Posts
I'll agree with falling off, gaining s#!t tons of speed, easing the tiller over (as not to kill speed) and shifting weight. This should do it.

Another trick when you are in the irons is to pay attention to your speed through water. If you are going backwards, you can easily "finish" the tack by putting the tiller back to windward.

·
1,000 Posts
You really rally can't sail, until you sail one of these..

It's called a Patin and has no rudders, no jib, no fins not boards nothing...

tack, sail and steer only with mast rake, main sheet and body weight...get in around in one of these, go, and come back...then you can trully sail you know how to sail a cat..

this is a very interesting boat, its called a Patin de Cataluña, from Spain. Its a narrow beam catamaran with no rudder, and a mast with rake adjusted by a direct line.

PATIN

You steer with mast rake, as you have a line that pulls the mast forward and backwards, the main sheet, your weight in the pontoons, and a trick...you dip your foot in the water to help turn.

And here

I sailed in that for 3 days...I want to start racing them in Portugal if I can get some friends to buy a few...

Let me tell you...you're not a sailor until you can do a racing triangle with one...I fell 3 times in 3 days sailing it...but because you keep the sheet in your hand you pull yourself back fast...I don't care who you are or what you sail, get one of these and we'll talk....what a blast, and it makes you a sailor...guaranteed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts