SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are considering bringing our 45' catamaran from the abacos to San Franciso. Have any of you made the trip? We live in Sacramento and would enjoy her more in the S.F. bay and cruising the delta. Any input would be appreciated. We'd be looking for a captain, although my husband would want to be along most of the time.
Thanks,
Linda

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
While I haven't done that particular trip, I would point out that doing so will require the boat to transit the Panama Canal, and it will be a fairly long and possibly expensive delivery trip.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
It gets a little shallow going through Arizona.
They could take the Northwest Passage route. It would be an adventure of a life time! :D

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
If the boat is up to it, the easiest route would be Panama to Hawaii, up and over the north Pacific High and then southeasterly into the Golden Gate. Another alternative would be taking the "Clippership Route" north from Panama roughly 300-400 miles off-shore although that would be unwise during hurricane season. (You might want to obtain a copy of Ocean Passages of the World for more information.) The last but least desireable option (in my view) would be running northerly along the coast but much of it is a bash and you'll be doing a lot of motor sailing.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte

1 - 6 of 6 Posts