SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I very much like pants made out of quick dry material. It really makes a difference.

I have some Gills that I like the material but the side pockets are too shallow and designed to let whatever is in them to fall out.

They only have one usable pocket a single cargo pocket.

There has to be something better.

Anyone know of some options.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I usually wear Eddie bower convertible travel pants with the zip off legs .. nice and thin shorts if its hot quick drying an the cargo pockets although small to have velcro. the "travex" line I think.

I have two pair and really pretty much wear them most the time now.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Convertible hiking pants for sure. Right now I've got a couple of pairs of Mountain Khakis. Better made, tougher wearing, and less expensive than the North Face pants I had before.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Bass Pro Shop's World Wide Sportsman Hybrid Angler pants with zip off legs...quick drying...six pockets (two zipper)...stain resistant...double stitched seams...reinforced belt loops...half elastic waist.

I put everything in my pockets that I don't want to lay down and forget where I put it so I sometimes have pounds of stuff crammed in the pockets of these pants...tools/keys/locks/line/wallet/cell phone...and have had them for two years and wear them regularly and they are as sound as the day I first put them on.

And the price is right...I think I paid about 35 bucks...internet says "starting at 29.99" but I didn't check the details.

Shorts in the same style and material are my choice for shorts.

Reactions: davidpm

·
Master Mariner
9,187 Posts
If you are interested in shorts, Sportif make a wide range of boating cargo type shorts. I have several pairs going on 30 years of use!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Cargo pants? .... Come on guys,- admit it! There's no real shame. Tell it like it is..... Purse Pants!

I like purse pants, but I keep thinking I've lost my keys or wallet before I remember that there are other pockets to check!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Columbia "PFG" clothing is designed for water activities and not so expensive. They make SPF 60 rated long sleeve shirts that are very light and comfortable (as well as short sleeve) and several models of shorts with or without zip off legs.
John

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
I very much like pants made out of quick dry material. It really makes a difference.

I have some Gills that I like the material but the side pockets are too shallow and designed to let whatever is in them to fall out.

Google "Fast Drying Sailing Shorts". Tons of options. Alternately try "BoardShorts"

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I don't assume we're talking dingy sailing, but for that purpose learned quickly that padded bottom sailing shorts are a must for our old geyser 420 sessions. Lot's of bad things for an old guy to sit on. Think I got some Gills with weird insertable foam pads.... not exactly a fashion statement.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I think a lot depends on what you sail and where you sail.

I mostly wear Levi's 505 jeans. Definitely not quick-drying. If the weather kicks up (rain or spray) I put on foul weather bibs on. If it is too warm for that then bathing shorts.

At work I wear Duluth Trading pants or shorts - lots of pockets and clips and the fire hose varieties do dry fast. Surprisingly comfortable if slightly stiff.

I find socks to be a bigger deal than pants -- keeping my feet dry is a bigger deal for me than my hindquarters. *grin*

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts

REI and other outdoor retailers will have dozens of options. These are my favorite this year:
Marmot Hatteras Pant - Men's | Backcountry.com

They are sort of Carhartt-eqse but made of a quick drying canvas that is also really durable. Like all good things it looks like they've been discontinued, so buy them while you can.

My foul weather pants are some Kokatat kayaking pants made with Goretex. I already had them, but they were also about half the price of Goretex sailing pants and were domestically made.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I sail almost entirely in shorts and barefoot May thru November. No many in Maine will do that. Especially since I have to go at least to mid-thigh to launch. But, on occasion, like small craft advisories, impending hurricanes, thunderstorm directly overhead, I slip on my brown trousers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts