SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've always heard it stated that even when out cruising, if you are overtaking and passing another boat, that there is always a race going on. So that got me wondering, if on a hot summer day, you are able to catch up and pass another sailboat, does that give you the right to hit them with water guns?

Reactions: Kostis

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
NO, not water guns!

See in sailing, and love, subtlety is essential.

When the sailboat you plan on passing is way off in the distance, do all the running around out of site of their crew. Adjust your sail trim, move the traveler, adjust the backstay, vang, outhauls, barber haulers, halyards, whatever you got. Once you've maximized VMG, then towel off any sweat and assume a relaxed pose in the cockpit.

As you catch up, you need to look like you're not trying. With absolutely no effort at all, you are able to beat the .... out of the other boat.

No snickering either. Just quietly pass, and if you must, kinda a low 5 wave like the lobsta guys do up in Maine.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Capecodda has it exactly right, you should be on autopilot sitting in the windward sternperch seat with a sweaty bottle of beer in your right hand, hold cigarette and wave with the left hand.

·
bell ringer
5,035 Posts
Daveinet;1878842 does that give you the right to hit them with water guns?[/QUOTE said:
what are you talking about, times like that are the only reason to have a loaded water canon on the boat ;)

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Just throw them a few chocolate bars as you pass their boat. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I like the kid steering on auto pilot idea.

On a related note, what make/model water cannons do you carry. I have the Aqua Zooka which has a range of about 50ft. Always looking to improve the arsenal though.

·
Administrator
7,551 Posts
A water pistol is a goid training device. If the water comes back in your face you passed on the wrong side.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Like to have no one on deck. Stand in companion way with remote. On sunny days have that porous cloth on hard dodger lights. Can see out but not in.
Freaks them out. They think we will hit them until we go by and see me standing on second step of companion way with head peaking out. Great fun if they are tweakers.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
I like to pass on the leeward side, then as I get an overlap, luff them up whilst screaming "up, up" and put them into irons.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I'm in the subtle crowd. Pass while looking like it is taking no effort. Nod and wave. A sandwich in one, beverage in the other, steering with your foot is a bonus.

Two few stories.

First, we passed a small 28ish ft single handed boat in the Bay with his outboard running. I wasn't really trying to, we were just both heading down the northern part of East Passage on a beam reach. Pretty straightforward point and go. He must have felt bad and yelled over that he was dragging a bucket. I replied that we were cheating. No pleasure in that one.

We passed a 40ish foot boat on our way to Block Island in a good breeze. They were motoring on bare poles and we still passed them. Could see the wife pointing at us and we've always assumed she was ripping the poor bastards head off. Lot's of pleasure in that one.

Finally, we motored passed a 55ish ft boat just outside Edgartown, Marthas Vineyard, and raised our sails. They were already sailing and must have thought it was a challenge, as they sailed up within 30 ft of us and passed us as we were powering up. I was tired and was going to just set a lazy cruise trim, press the autopilot and relax for the 3 hr trip to Nantucket. My daughter then looks over at me and says something like, "they passed you, you are going to defend us aren't you?". Game on. We exchanged the lead several times over the coming couple of hours. Each boat scrambling around the moment the other pulled ahead. Once we made the turn around Tuckernuck shoal and picked up a beam reach, we left them a thousand yards behind by the time we got to the harbor. Totally worth it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
"Dragging a bucket", that's a great one, I will keep it handy for future use. This will be my first full season on the Bay if it ever warms up. My old 28 has it's first coat of wax in surely 35 years, so I'm expecting big things!!

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
I think it depends on what you are passing and how it's sailed. I used to get joy in passing Moorings/Sunsail cats going upwind on my fat little 31' Bombay Clipper. As I became a better sailor I then noticed many of them didn't know how to trim a sail. I stopped counting them as competition. Then I started enjoying passing private charter cats going upwind. Hey they have 10' more of waterline and $500K more invested! Then I started racing the BC31 a few times a year and did very well. If someone passed me it was easy to say that they have 15' of waterline on me and a much better rating. I started to believe I couldn't loose. At that time I realized I'd become a real sailor!!:laugher

The bucket is a good excuse. I just say my hull is dirty, my wife doesn't like the boat to heel, somebody is below making sandwiches, etc.......

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Mods could you move this to Sailing Anarchy.. these folks are actually racers, I am pretty sure they don't belong here!

It's human nature to be competitive.

Water cannons if they are club-mates, or flipped you the tweety as you passed leeward of them... feel free to upgrade to nerf if they don't pay proper respect (acceptable payment is cold beverage of choice). In my case I tell my club mates the boat goes faster with the grill on the stern rail, that always gets an unusual look.

If they have more waterline than you, and you still pass on their leeward, then you most certainly should be very laid back about it... Perhaps you or the crew should have a serving tray of drinks making delivery about the boat at the time of notice, followed by a "would you be needing anything else for your stay?"

Rail grills are the secret weapon though... I'm telling ya.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
I think rail grills are a secret weapon but dragging a heavy RIB behind and still passing them creates a pretty good feeling....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts