SailNet Community banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
@JoCoSailor - my background is that I took sailing for two years on the town lake in O'day Sprites as a kid. My mom signed me up to get me out of the house, and to stay out of trouble. The instructor was a sixteen year old girl that used to bark instructions at us from a rowboat. "You're luffing" she'd yell. "You're ugly" we'd yell back. I was a pre-teenage kid, and there was no chance that my family would ever get a sailboat, so I failed the written (name this part of the boat, name this point of sail, name this manuver) and sailing portion of the course - two years in a row!

For the sailing portion of the assessment each student would be rowed out to a boat alone, have to rig it, and have to singlehand the boat off the mooring, around a mark, and back to the mooring, pick up the mooring and de-rig the boat. Tiller in one hand, mainsheet in the other, and jib sheet between your toes! We would start about two minuites apart (the time that it took to drop off one kid and row to the next boat), and we were supposed to sail in a line. But I was impatient, and failed for passing other boats. Also I came in too hot for the mooring pickup and had to go around again (fail). These were not ASA or US/Sailing sanctioned lessons. This was 1970 and it was just a teenager teaching pre-teens, like many sailing clubs do today.

Thirty five years later, I was trying to get to know my 14-year old step-son better, so I enrolled both of us in ASA lessons in Boston Harbor. My son liked it, but I found that I loved it. My work at the time (computer networking sales and training) had me traveling a lot, and my doctor had me wearing a halter monitor because he was concerned about my health. I found that as soon as we would drop the mooring painter, any thoughts or stress from work would simply fade away. My doctor looked at the report from the monitor and asked "What did you do at one-o'clock yesterday?" I told him that I was probably raising the sail on a CAL 33. He replied that he could see the physical activity, and after that my heart rate was textbook perfect. "Keep doing that" he said. My son stopped after 101, but I continued on through 103, 104, 105 and 106. This was in 2005-2006.

I bought a boat after a long search (documented in ancient posts SailNet) in 2010. I earned my OUPV and became an instructor in 2013.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been out sailing with a friend in his O'day 192 on the Peace River for the past two days. :)
Fantastic story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
@JoCoSailor - my background is that I took sailing for two years on the town lake in O'day Sprites as a kid. My mom signed me up to get me out of the house, and to stay out of trouble. The instructor was a sixteen year old girl that used to bark instructions at us from a rowboat. "You're luffing" she'd yell. "You're ugly" we'd yell back. I was a pre-teenage kid, and there was no chance that my family would ever get a sailboat, so I failed the written (name this part of the boat, name this point of sail, name this manuver) and sailing portion of the course - two years in a row!

For the sailing portion of the assessment each student would be rowed out to a boat alone, have to rig it, and have to singlehand the boat off the mooring, around a mark, and back to the mooring, pick up the mooring and de-rig the boat. Tiller in one hand, mainsheet in the other, and jib sheet between your toes! We would start about two minuites apart (the time that it took to drop off one kid and row to the next boat), and we were supposed to sail in a line. But I was impatient, and failed for passing other boats. Also I came in too hot for the mooring pickup and had to go around again (fail). These were not ASA or US/Sailing sanctioned lessons. This was 1970 and it was just a teenager teaching pre-teens, like many sailing clubs do today.

Thirty five years later, I was trying to get to know my 14-year old step-son better, so I enrolled both of us in ASA lessons in Boston Harbor. My son liked it, but I found that I loved it. My work at the time (computer networking sales and training) had me traveling a lot, and my doctor had me wearing a halter monitor because he was concerned about my health. I found that as soon as we would drop the mooring painter, any thoughts or stress from work would simply fade away. My doctor looked at the report from the monitor and asked "What did you do at one-o'clock yesterday?" I told him that I was probably raising the sail on a CAL 33. He replied that he could see the physical activity, and after that my heart rate was textbook perfect. "Keep doing that" he said. My son stopped after 101, but I continued on through 103, 104, 105 and 106. This was in 2005-2006.

I bought a boat after a long search (documented in ancient posts SailNet) in 2010. I earned my OUPV and became an instructor in 2013.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been out sailing with a friend in his O'day 192 on the Peace River for the past two days. :)
eherlihy,

I have admit I was completely wrong, I had you pegged for a life-long sailor. I smile now at the similarities in our sailing paths.

I run the IT dept for a fast-growing company. The stress can be overwhelming. I could not sleep, I got to meet a cardiologist. I could never ever stop thinking about work…until I got on a sailboat.
I took lessons on a sunfish around 1995. After they were over did not step on a sailboat for 20 years. Then within 2 years had completed ASA 101, 103 & 104. Unfortunately for me, the similarities stop there. I'm still 1 year, 3 months, 1 week and a day away from having the time and being near enough a coast to truly pursue sailing

No worries about the delayed response it’s a sailing forum, not a business 😊.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,182 Posts
No worries about the delayed response it’s a sailing forum, not a business 😊.
Thanks... I think participation in SailNet has become my proxy for submitting a weekly report :eek:

I guess that old habits are hard to break... or old dogs... whatever. :)

Reactions: JoCoSailor

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I find that for some people looking at the problem in reverse is helpful.

When you think of it when going upwind there is only one optimal relationship between the sail and the wind.

So you can think of it as orienting the sail that ideal way then rotating the boat so it points in the direction you want to go.

What that means in practice that depending on how the sail is set you pick a direction that is optimal or you reset the sail.

If you look at this way a sail set relative to the wind in an optimal position will exert a force on the mast in a particular (vector) direction.

If you oversheet the sail the direction of the vector and the direction of the boat will require the boat to sail sideways which of course it will not do so it stalls.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts