SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
My name is Francis and I am a student at Dundee University. I need your help. I have entered into my final year studying product design and as a sailor for most of my life i would like to connect my hobby with my course. I am looking to create a product that has emotional attachment to the owner and is something that can be passed from generation to generation without the need for it to be through away or forgotten about. If anyone could tell me about parts of their boats/objects on, or in their boats that have this emotional attachment it would really help me out. It is quite an obscure question so if i have not described it enough please ask me more questions.
thanks
Francis

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
I'm refreshing/rehabbing my boat, so I'll have an emotional attachment to most of it, especially the hull. Are you looking to create something ornamental or functional? Some functional things, like the tool for opening the fuel/water/holding tank covers, might be good candidates, but others, like winch handles, probably won't be.

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
... I am looking to create a product that has emotional attachment to the owner and is something that can be passed from generation to generation without the need for it to be through away or forgotten about...
Francis,

As described, this is impossible. I love my solar vent. If I sold the boat, I'd take it off and sit it on my mantle, maybe have the boat name engraved on it. My neighbor is especially fond of his winch handle and plans to leave it to his great grandson.

Everyone feels an attachment for something different on their boat so how can one product be created that covers everyone's emotional needs? Standard stuff like brass barometers that hung in grandpappy's wooden sloop that went around the world or the sextant that went to the South Pole, etc. have already been done.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Reactions: fgarrettmunnoch

·
Registered
765 Posts
I love my ancient Silva hand bearing compass. It was not intended to be used for sailing but for hiking but I have used it for everything including hiking, climbing, caving (it has provided data for numerous cave maps) and constantly use it for sailing. Whenever I sail, it is around my neck.
I've considered passing it to my kids but it is nothing but plastic and is old and scratched. Its value is purely sentimental for me but it represents a lot of my life.

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
I've considered passing it to my kids but it is nothing but plastic and is old and scratched. Its value is purely sentimental for me but it represents a lot of my life.
To me, the monetary value means nothing. The fact that you loved it would be why I'd want to keep it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS; I'm sure everyone would love a working modle of thire own boat bet you can work your stuff on making it a reality AS ALWAYS GO SAFE

·
Registered
250 Posts
It seems that things which the owner spends lots of their time with develop emotional attachments.

If the owner makes something, then he becomes emotionally attached to it. But this is a problem, because you can't sell it then. Is there some kind of kit that you can sell which which the owner will spend a lot of his time with and become attached to it?

Is this related to increasing revenue? Because having emotional attachment to something won't increase product sales. Having something that breaks after a given amount of time and must be replaced will.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'm fond of my spinnaker and winches but not emotionally involved with them or anything on the boat, closest would be my foulies and that's just 'cause it took a lot of rain in the face to make them look so broken in and salty.
I'm kind of baffled, maybe I don't understand the concept.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Have to say my splicing tools & collected knot notes. Thanks Fritz for getting me started many years ago.

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
Everyone mentioned something different so I'm not sure how Francis could make his idea work.

What I could see is maybe some kind of decorative box with a plaque to hold whatever it is that was memorable. But even that's not too creative.

·
Señor Member
576 Posts
You guys have no imagination!

Anything that could be customized with the name of the boat...lots of people do that now. Hats, coffee mugs, shirts.....

Anything that would be used on a boat as a favorite tool....a customized sailors's knife, chart weights, clock & barometer set...

ed. (sorry Donna - missed that part of your post.)

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
Still, how many different types of knives are there? There was a thread on knives a while back. 50 people may like 30 different knives. How do you market that as one product?

Reactions: fgarrettmunnoch

·
Señor Member
576 Posts
It could be the customization....
I don't know the processes exactly but .... Laser etched logo/name on the blade -CNC carved on a wood handle. I don't know what you do to a bone handle....

I've always thought Myerchin makes some nice knives..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Everyone
I am thrilled to bits with the wide variety of responses so thanks a lot to everyone. All the idea's are very helpful to me as I am still at the early stages of the project so I have time to look into lots of different areas then narrow it down. For anyone who was not sure about my first question I hope to create something that has the potential to be kept for life and handed down. For this project the obsolescence of the object is not so important but it is important to consider along with the viability of selling the final object. I am hopeing to craft the final item from materials that will last unlike most of the products that most people buy today. As a bosun of a sailing club fro the last 2 years I can relate to people who have attachment to specific tools. Any more insights from people who have had a certain tool for years and years and will pass it down would be very interesting to me.
Thanks again so much to everyone who got in contact
Francis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts