SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a writer for The Boating Hub blog.

I'm constantly getting asked what qualifications and courses you need to learn to sail in various countries.

I was wondering if it was good idea to write a guide, explaining the qualifications needed to sail in each country worldwide.

It will take a lot of time, research and effort, but I'm hoping it will benefit budding sailors.

So, is it a good idea? Your opinion is appreciated :)

Lee.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I learned to sail as a little kid in a family of sailors. I don't get this courses and qualifications approach. I also spent one summer at a "sailing camp" and the first thing I was told to do was box the compass to 32 points. I guess that was a "qualification"?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair point WGEWald, 32 points, you've cracked it! :)

You can't sail in certain parts of the world without the right qualifications & licenses.. this guide would educate people on that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can't sail in certain parts of the world without the right qualifications & licenses.. this guide would educate people on that.
Are those requirements for charter, or for navigating in the waters of specific countries? What countries' customs officlals would demand proof of "the right qualifications" along with safety inspection? Looking forward to seeing your write-up.

http://www.theboatinghub.com/

·
Registered
765 Posts
Was once sailing with a German friend here in N. FL and he asked me if I had a sailing license and if so what kind it was. I said, "Yup, I got a 12 gage license down in the cabin." He answered, "you Americans and laughed"

·
3,506 Posts
After visiting 25 countries under sail, I can tell you that there were/are O, None, Nada qualifications required for a foreign cruising boat.

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
It's a bit more complicated than having a single qualification standard for each country, given that,

Many countries have requirements for their own residents, but most often they honor the requirements of other countries for qualifying skippers from those other countries.

The specific waterways within a country can have different requirements ... for example, the CEVNI training for accessing inland waterways/canals in France, or the varying requirements in the USA for Coast Guard-controlled federal waterways vs. state regulations for many inland waterways. And, even though the US doesn't have any form of boating licensing, most US states have boating education requirements, but these states vary in who needs to meet them. Canada also has a boating ed requirement. Or Great Britain is interested in the qualifications of its residents depending upon how far offshore they go.

And then there are charter companies. And insurance companies, particularly where newer skippers are concerned, but also in terms of seasonal/geography/distance limits for some places. And the countries where the rules on the books have hugely varying amounts of leeway and traditions that deviate big time from the printed rules... until some official decides not to deviate them. Radio operation is also variable; US folks have fewer requirements in-country but have to meet more requirements when they go foreign (for example, not needing a license for VHF unless they go abroad). And, of course, non-recreational operation is a whole different subject.

So this guide would want a lot of subjects/columns... resident and non-resident licenses/education, locations, radio, level of enforcement, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys, think I'll get cracking on it. Will let you know when ready so you can harshly criticise it :)

Lee.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
Hi, I'm a writer for The Boating Hub blog.

I'm constantly getting asked what qualifications and courses you need to learn to sail in various countries.

I was wondering if it was good idea to write a guide, explaining the qualifications needed to sail in each country worldwide.

It will take a lot of time, research and effort, but I'm hoping it will benefit budding sailors.

So, is it a good idea? Your opinion is appreciated :)

Lee.
How much will it cost? $19.99 plus $30 shipping and handling, and, if you are one of the first 100 purchasers, we will throw in a set of steak knives???
:eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback WGEwald. We haven't included these in the book at this point, but could be an idea for future updates.

Have a great week, Lee.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Here it is, what you've all been waiting for :)

The eBook answers the following questions;

- What sailing courses do I need to take to learn to sail a yacht or dinghy in a specific country?
- What are the regulations for sailing in a specific country?
-What licenses do I need to sail in a specific country?

You can download the eBook for FREE here; How to Learn to Sail: A Beginners Guide to Sailing Course Qualifications, Regulations & Licenses

Let me know what you think, or if any changes are required.

Happy reading.

Lee

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
You can download the eBook for FREE here; {deleted link} How to Learn to Sail: A Beginners Guide to Sailing Course Qualifications, Regulations & Licenses
It isn't free if it requires an e-mail address. It appears to be just another way to harvest e-mail addresses.

Just a week ago you were wondering if a guide would be useful, and said it would take a lot of time, research, and effort - now there is a book.

It all seems a bit off to me. Perhaps I am just a tad suspicious by nature.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Lee,

Why not just let people read it without having to "subscribe"? If it's free, just make it free.

Also, the U.S. section seems misleading. The state requirements are decided on by each state with each state providing their own courses to satisfy the minimum requirements. Whether you choose to pay for a more expensive option such as the CG Aux, U.S. Power and Sail Squadron, ASA or USSailing, that's above and beyond what the minimum requirements are.

From your website:

"It also helps intermediate or advanced sailors who are looking to venture into foreign waters, but are confused as to the regulations and licenses required where they want to sail."

A foreign-flagged boat in U.S. territorial waters will not be asked to obtain state boating safety certificates to sail in the U.S.

It looks like you've combined two topics:

1. What does my country of citizenship require for me to sail here?
2. What certification am I required to have to sail abroad in each country I want to sail?

Most often those two are not the same but that isn't made clear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why is it suspicious SVAuspicious??

It's all we've been working on, and we already had a lot of the info written up for another book we had planned..

Re the email address, I think considering our time and effrot it's not much to ask.. you can unsubscribe at anytime anyway!

Sorry you feel this way.

Lee

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Why is it suspicious SVAuspicious??

It's all we've been working on, and we already had a lot of the info written up for another book we had planned..

Re the email address, I think considering our time and effrot it's not much to ask.. you can unsubscribe at anytime anyway!
It is suspicious because offers are very often used to harvest e-mail addresses that are then sold to spammers.

If it is all you have been working on, why did you say in your original post that you wondered if something (a guide) would be useful? Why not be more open and say you have been working on it and will release it shortly, and solicit thoughts? Why speak in a manner that implied a lot of time, energy, and research yet to come when most of the work was behind you.

I've been involved in significant publications and even with all the research complete I find it hard to believe that you went from complete research product to an e-book in a week. That just isn't credible unless it isn't a book but just a brief paper or some tables.

I suggest you do some research on e-mail spam, spammers, subscriptions, and unsubscriptions. Why should I believe that when I am unsubscribed (not that I would subscribe in the first place) you won't continue selling my "known good" address to spammers? Your privacy policy link goes to a bad page - there is no public policy available from the subscription page. Of course there is little I could do if you violated a posted policy so credibility needs to be established some other way.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts