SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As I say SVAuspicious, I'm sorry you feel this way.

Firstly, in no way would we ever sell email addresses to spammers.. there's no way of me proving that to you so whether you take my word or not is entirely up to you. We are a reputable company and will remain so.

Secondly, the privacy policy page does work; Our Privacy & Cookie Policy | The Boating Hub Ltd

Thirdly, re the 'speed' of the ebook.. we had originally wrote about 'learning to sail' without the added licenses and regulation sections. I posted on this forum to see whether it was good idea to change focus and eloborate on it, which I then did.

I'm never going to please you so I give up now.

Take care, Lee

·
Registered
619 Posts
You know, we used to take care of this sort of nonsense with very little fuss in CHAT! ;-)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, I took the bait :) so will find out if all the dire consequences will ensue. The book I remember to learn about sailing was Royce's "Sailing Illustrated" in the 60s. The eBook seems quite different.

·
Old soul
5,014 Posts
I find all this quibble just a little amusing. How is what BoatingHub is doing much different than SN? Potential consumers are drawn (seduced) into the store or service with the carrot of a "free" thingy. When the potential customer is drawn in the up-sell starts.

SN does the same thing by offering a "free" forum which then forces users to view unwanted ads (spam by another name). SN also asks members to register if they want to use the full service, and asks for a lot more data than just email addresses, although some of it is optional. SN collects data on its users using hidden trackers, and sells this data to Google et al. Right now my Ghostery blocker is showing NINE separate background trackers trying to collect data on me.

So yes, I share your suspicions about BoatingHub, but it's really no different than what happens here on SN.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks Mike (MikeOReilly), I'm really not sure why everyone is so suspicious of us, we're merely trying to educate people and collect email addresses for future eBook releases.. that is it!! We're not using trackers or anything similar.

Every giveaway on the web follow what we're doing, it's standard content marketing practice.

Anyway, this thread is going off topic, let's leave it as is.

Have a great weekend, Lee.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I'm really not sure why everyone is so suspicious of us, we're merely trying to educate people and collect email addresses for future eBook releases.. that is it!!
In fairness to SN, I don't think everyone is suspicious of you. I am. *grin*

When I followed your link and clicked on the privacy policy I got a 404 page (which was a nice one - good design). That was off-putting. Someone fixed something on your end because it works now.

A friend of mine did download your document and there are misstatements of fact (ASA does not convey any US Government certifications for example, and you confuse--at least to me--RYA and MCA roles in the UK) and a doesn't address foreign nationals sailing in, or chartering in, a given country. I think Noonsite is a better resource for those sailing internationally, and charter companies for those inclined to such things.

I apologize if I have offended you. There just isn't much there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I was a little offended SVAuspicious, but you're free to have your own opinion.

Appreciate the feedback re the contents, we will make adjustments based on your comments, and those of Donna (DRFerron). Should hopefully have an updated version next week.

Enjoy your weekend, Lee.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
All this wishing each other well and polite stuff is really offensive. What happened to the good old knock down drag outs. Come one guys, we want to be amused!

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
As someone who teaches 4 different standards (see below) I would be interested, but I get enough spam as it is.

As an aside, new legislation in Canada requires that any organization using our email address for mass mailings must get our permission to do so. I have spent some time earlier this year opting in and out of mail lists.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I managed to see a copy. I checked the material for the standards I test and the country in which I teach. It does not make my recommended reading list. The information on the standards and Canada is both very sparse and very wrong. One standard is missing entirely.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I think Auspicious has a valid point re the email business. Personally I would not give a commercial site, and it is at least debateably a commercial site cos it has advertising, my email address under such circumstances. I get enough spam emails as it is.

Otoh .... no one is forced to oblige them so it is methinks a case of "buyer beware".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It's not in my character sorry clip68, wish it was!

People have their own opinions, you have to respect it.. even though I've had to bite my tongue several times!

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
BoatingHub, don't take it to heart. The business re spam and emails surfaces so often that it is not surprising that some folk get suspicious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Many thanks TDW, it's good to hear a positive comment for once. People are being so damn rude on here, they obviously have nothing else in their life.

Thought I was doing people a favour, I've learnt my lesson!

Lee

21 - 40 of 43 Posts