SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RL24 (Rob Legg)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows of any realistic sailing simulators. I was able to find a lot that focused on racing but was wondering if there were any others that focused on learning to sail and had more boats than the racers. Thank you for any and all help.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Virtual Sailor isn't free, if that's what you're looking for, but I have a LOT of fun with it.

Virtual Sailor - Virtual Sailing Simulator

You can change everything from the weather, current, tide, opacity of the water, even have whales.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
VT, thanks for that recommendation. To those who have posted, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how hard are the other programs to use? I have an 8 and (almost) 6 year old. Can they play any of them? I like the idea of Cwind being an iPhone app, too, because I can set up races amongst us.

·
Barquito
3,653 Posts
I haven't used simulators very much, but, with my learning style, they don't seem to help much. I find that in learning to sail there is an intellectual component and a 'tactile' component. The intellectual component can come from books. You need to understand the forces acting on the boat. The 'tactile' component is actually being out there. Feeling the wind. Figuring out how to move about on the boat. Learning the nuances of the equipment on the boat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently found a new one; realsail.net
It is pretty easy to use and replicates the real racing conditions very accurately. highly recommendable!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts