SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Looks good. I saw the name of this thread and the expression 'Prairie Schooner' leapt to mind.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nope those are the big boats 30-38 footers. I'm at 1:49 lower left corner leading the pack of small boats 23-28 footers. Smack, you'll be happy to hear that the 30 and 32 foot Hunters dominate the series.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Booyah!!! Of course the Hunters are rockin' it!

I see your boat now (the one with good sail trim and some speed). Awesome.

BTW - that's a great looking lake. Some seriously big-ass fish at :36! What are those things?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They do but I've heard the sailing is not nearly as good there as it is at Lewis and Clark. With prevailing SSW winds in the summer and NNE in the fall and the fact that the lake lies east / west for 14.5 miles, you can sail up and down on a reach all day long. Whereas at Oahe there's a lot of upwind and down wind. The other plus is our marina, I've talked to people who've had their boats at Oahe and Pickstown tell me that ours is the best in the state.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Fun! You must be familiar with those little wind bomblets that start around 1PM & arrive w/ no warning ... 45kts from a random direction. :) Bet that's interesting if it happens in the middle of a race, too. Personally, our tactic during those things is to reef the heck out of the sails & forereach for 15-30 minutes until the beast passes. Who knows, racers may keep on truckin.' (It does suck when you run out of lake before the sky runs out of wind, tho.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Have not experienced a wind bomblet but we have days where it blows 20-25 with gusts of 30-40. That is the kind of wind that breaks stuff not to mention exhausting.
If we are racing and it pipes up like that we finish the race and the second is cancelled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts