SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Scituate is a good alternative if you can't make it to Plymouth/Duxbury. Cohasset is another albeit even smaller fallback.

Unless you have some local knowledge and/or conditions are very calm, probably best to avoid the North River (although there are some anchorages there.)

Further south, Green Harbor in Marshfield is shallow and small -- so depending on your draft you might not be able to get in there and I doubt there is much if any anchorage -- moorings/dock being the only option.

If you want to get away from the crowds in Plymouth harbor, there are a few anchorages sprinkled around Duxbury Bay. North and east of Clark's Island has some deep water (approach from the west side of the island if the tide is out.) You can also call the Duxbury harbormaster to see if they have a free mooring at Snug Harbor.

I'm not sure I'd recommend Warren Cove as an anchorage (the area off Plymouth Beach that you mentioned). I've never noticed anyone spending the night there -- it is potentially very exposed and Brown's Bank can make approaches very tricky. I HAVE seen folks tuck up close on the south side of Saquish Neck -- but I would rather see you come in even if only to the vicinity of the Cowyard. Plenty of boats anchor thereabouts for the night in calm conditions.

Have fun!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts