SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just wondering what precautions or safety those that have done extensive travel outside of the USA do to keep themselves and loved ones safe. From pirates, theft, bodily harm etc. How does one protect a partner without a lethal weapon(gun)?

:ship-captain::ship-captain:

·
11,803 Posts
Spear gun and moderator Marks pointed wit😉😉😉🤺🤺🤺🙀🙀🙀

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Why would you go to places that you deem so dangerous that you might need a lethal weapon?

As has been discussed many times, a gun is mostly a useless tool on board an international recreational cruising vessel. Its range of possible usefulness is very small, vs the much larger range of problems it can cause you.

The vast majority of crime cruisers face is standard property theft that happens everywhere. In most cases your risk is less than in most places in the USA. There is real danger out there, but most of the hot spots for actual piracy are well known. DON’T GO THERE.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I take it, your gun thread was deleted? I think it’s a legit discussion, but I no longer bother posting to them, because of that. Mods made that rule. They are openly discussed on other VS forums. Any weapon that is generally illegal around the world will be nearly useless, since you’ll have to surrender it or go to jail if you use it. Even bear spray and spears aren’t legal everywhere.

Best method is to keep a low profile, avoid riskier places, keep your gear out of sight, stay near others, be able to create noise and light, if boarded. Improve your hatch protection, so you can barracade yourself down below, while calling for help.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it, your gun thread was deleted? I think it’s a legit discussion, but I no longer bother posting to them, because of that. Mods made that rule. They are openly discussed on other VS forums. Any weapon that is generally illegal around the world will be nearly useless, since you’ll have to surrender it or go to jail if you use it. Even bear spray and spears aren’t legal everywhere.

Best method is to keep a low profile, avoid riskier places, keep your gear out of sight, stay near others, be able to create noise and light, if boarded. Improve your hatch protection, so you can barracade yourself down below, while calling for help.
Cant use bear spray and spears! That's just stupid , so you are suppose to just await your fate. CRAZY.... Thanks for the tips..

:captain::captain:

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
A Super Soaker 50 filled with ammonia is a good short range deterrent and unlikely to get you in trouble with the authorities.

Be aware that most countries outside the USA take a very dim view of any sort of firearm. A yottie has just spent 6 months in a Trini jail for possession of a foot long miniature cannon and a muzzle loading flintlock musket undeclared and on his boat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cant use bear spray and spears! That's just stupid , so you are suppose to just await your fate. CRAZY.... Thanks for the tips..

:captain::captain:
Hi, if the thought of travelling to far flung places without being weaponized worries you so much then simply don't go. Sometimes travel is not for everyone.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fortunately there are cruisers that pack heat creating a deterrent or the crime problem would be much worse than it is. In the US, it's best to carry and not hesitate to use if you feel threatened. Help make it safer for everyone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fortunately there are cruisers that pack heat creating a deterrent or the crime problem would be much worse than it is. In the US, it's best to carry and not hesitate to use if you feel threatened. Help make it safer for everyone.
Do that down here in Aus or NZ and it will not end well for you. In many other parts of the world that will introduce to the prison system that no one would want.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
All this does is produce problems for ALL cruisers as authorities learn not to trust us a group.

You don’t have any right to do as you please in a foreign country. You are a guest. If you can’t obey, if not actually respect, the laws of the foreign lands you visit, then you should stay home.

Even in the USA, which is a more violent society than most developed countries, the advice to shoot “if you feel threatened" is ridiculous and paranoid. It’s certainly not the USA I know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, the US has been the world's peacekeeper for a long time. It does that by deterrents for the most part but won't hesitate to use deadly force if necessary. Its citizens have the same rights.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The use of deadly force is only legal if your life is in imminent danger. Even then, most states require you to attempt retreat before resorting to deadly force.

I cant really say if the US is more or less violent than other countries. We have a lot more people than most so the total number of violent encounters is high, but the per capita is roughly the same. I hear about more violent crime coming from Surrey than I do Seattle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All this does is produce problems for ALL cruisers as authorities learn not to trust us a group.

You don’t have any right to do as you please in a foreign country. You are a guest. If you can’t obey, if not actually respect, the laws of the foreign lands you visit, then you should stay home.

Even in the USA, which is a more violent society than most developed countries, the advice to shoot “if you feel threatened" is ridiculous and paranoid. It’s certainly not the USA I know.
Mike, I clearly stated I was talking about packing in the US and not in foreign countries.

Yes, the US has it's violent elements. By and large it is concentrated among the minorities. The fringes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The use of deadly force is only legal if your life is in imminent danger. Even then, most states require you to attempt retreat before resorting to deadly force.

I cant really say if the US is more or less violent than other countries. We have a lot more people than most so the total number of violent encounters is high, but the per capita is roughly the same. I hear about more violent crime coming from Surrey than I do Seattle.
Two, and only two statements make it legal in the US. He charged and the gun went off. Take the Fifth after that and let your attorney do the talking after that.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
As this thread is quickly turning the direction of all gun threads please be warned - especially newer members -

That this thread is about to be moved into the password protected Politics forum

Please do not troll or post drivel. :grin

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Sean, I don’t mean to get into a discussion about which society is more violent. Numerous studies and data show the USA to be worse than most OECD countries in most crime markers. But it’s certainly not the worst in all categories, and in some areas the USA looks much better than most. More importantly, by global standards the USA, and indeed most OECD countries, are very secure and safe.

Here’s just one overview study/comparson of OECD crime data.

Comparisons of Crime in OECD Countries

P.S. Don’t feed the trolls.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, this thread should be moved to the politics forum. It's unfortunate mature and controversial topics can't be openly discussed without turning to name calling. When some resort to calling others trolls they have lost the argument.

P.S. Don't feed the trolls, it only makes them stronger.:gunner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts