SailNet Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sean, I don’t mean to get into a discussion about which society is more violent. Numerous studies and data show the USA to be worse than most OECD countries in most crime markers. But it’s certainly not the worst in all categories, and in some areas the USA looks much better than most. More importantly, by global standards the USA, and indeed most OECD countries, are very secure and safe.

Here’s just one overview study/comparson of OECD crime data.

Comparisons of Crime in OECD Countries

P.S. Don’t feed the trolls.
What I gather from that is stay at sea and you have nothing to worry about!

I spent several years living in the heart of Dallas, Texas. I now live in rural northwest Washington. The crime in Dallas was getting ridiculous as gentrification encroached upon all areas, displacing many of the lower income folk. Now we routinely leave our place open. Correlation does not mean causation, but when you start packing people together in a small area (urban environments), crime is most definitely going to increase.

Logic dictates that this is the same with the cruising community. Marinas will have a higher density of people and belongings, so there will be more crime. Then there are the logistical complications when you move to moorings and achorages, as well as a dramatic decrease in populous density.

It is one of the reasons the life is so drawing to me, personally. You can pick and choose you community and neighbors, and it is safe.

And you dont have to worry about neighbors feeding the coyotes.

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, if you were to shoot a local with an illegal firearm in every Caribbean country I've been in, even if you and your loved ones were in fear for your lives, you would go to prison for a very very long time. There is no legal justification for injuring or killing a local in the minds of the local powers that be.
As for spear guns, they are also illegal (except for Hawaiian slings) on most islands. Visitors are no longer allowed to spearfish in island waters, in general.

Reactions: zeehag

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
What I gather from that is stay at sea and you have nothing to worry about!

I spent several years living in the heart of Dallas, Texas. I now live in rural northwest Washington. The crime in Dallas was getting ridiculous as gentrification encroached upon all areas, displacing many of the lower income folk. Now we routinely leave our place open. Correlation does not mean causation, but when you start packing people together in a small area (urban environments), crime is most definitely going to increase.

Logic dictates that this is the same with the cruising community. Marinas will have a higher density of people and belongings, so there will be more crime. Then there are the logistical complications when you move to moorings and achorages, as well as a dramatic decrease in populous density.

It is one of the reasons the life is so drawing to me, personally. You can pick and choose you community and neighbors, and it is safe.

And you dont have to worry about neighbors feeding the coyotes.
All well said. Completely agree. Crime tends to increase with population density, and the range of crime levels within a large, complex country like the USA (or indeed my home of Canada) varies widely from place to place. It’s kinda silly to make any sweeping statements.

The cruising community tends to be a relatively low crime space, particularly for violent crime. But some areas are known to be bad for petty or property crime. Being aware and smart are by far the best ways to deal with this. Certainly a gun is pretty much a useless tool most of the time. And in most countries an undeclared or improperly stowed gun will net the perpetrator far more troubles than its worth.

Where I cruise we almost never lock our boat. But were I to travel to a more populated area, I’d alter my practice accordingly. Point is, there are plenty of ways to sail the world safely, and almost none of them require a gun. The only time I’d consider a gun is if I were heading into polar bear territory.

The crime rates in countries is inversely proportional to the deterrent. I'm not saying that is the only variable. Compare your stats with detention rates.
Don't mean to add discrimination (or not) to the mix but the more homogeneous the population is the less the crime in general.
This is simply and verifiably untrue. If detention rates drove crime stats the USA would have the lowest in the whole world. As for homogeneity, Canada is at least, if not more diverse in it’s population mix, yet it scores significantly lower than the USA in almost every crime measure. If you cared to look at the study I posted you’d see that some of the most homogeneous countries score very high in some crime stats.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, the US has it's violent elements. By and large it is concentrated among the minorities. The fringes.
The crime rates in countries is inversely proportional to the deterrent. I'm not saying that is the only variable. Compare your stats with detention rates.
Don't mean to add discrimination (or not) to the mix but the more homogeneous the population is the less the crime in general.
holyshit... :eek
This took a dark turn. Clearly a troll.

(and yeah it's also not true; US has the highest incarceration, and gun rate, and much lower population density than much of Europe, but a much higher violent crime rate, hmm. NYC has highest population density (and diverse population) in the US, but a very low crime rate.. So weird.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is simply and verifiably untrue. If detention rates drove crime stats the USA would have the lowest in the whole world. As for homogeneity, Canada is at least, if not more diverse in it’s population mix, yet it scores significantly lower than the USA in almost every crime measure. If you cared to look at the study I posted you’d see that some of the most homogeneous countries score very high in some crime stats.
Your own link supports what I said. Don't let your ideology distort the facts. There are lots of variables involved here and a few cases where other variables overshadowing others don't make a case. A little research on your part would might help you get a better understanding of the problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
(and yeah it's also not true; US has the highest incarceration, and gun rate, and much lower population density than much of Europe, but a much higher violent crime rate, hmm. NYC has highest population density (and diverse population) in the US, but a very low crime rate.. So weird.)
References please! What about Baltimore, Chicago, Philly, Washington DC, etc? Isn't NYC highly segregated? Don't forget all the factors at play here. It't hard for some to comprehend since it's not a binary issue.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
holyshit... :eek
This took a dark turn. Clearly a troll.
Yup. Don’t feed it and it will go away.

To bring this back to the OP’s question, staying safe while cruising the world is really no different than staying safe anywhere. Situational awareness, smart choices, and avoiding the few locations where piracy is present, covers most of the possible events.

Perhaps the underlying question, given the OP’s plethora of similar questions, is how does one deal with new and foreign situations. We all face the unknown differently. We all come from different perspectives and different life experiences. If you come from a more violent, mistrustful society, then you will likely carry those views into your world travels. If you have been brought up in a more peaceful, trusting society, this is how you will likely view the rest of the world.

I am lucky to have lived in the latter. I don’t see hate or danger in the strangers’ eye. I don’t feel I need to use violence the moment I feel threatened. And in my opinion, most of the world agrees with me. Most people everywhere are decent and kind. Most people are not out to do you harm.

Viewed in this light, the world doesn’t look so scary.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts