SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had originally planned to take my Sharpie on this trip, but last minute trailer problems left me scrambling to find another solution. Rather than delay or cancel the vacation, I decided to load my Grumman 17 onto my roof along with my largely untested home made sail rig. As it turns out, the combination would be the perfect craft for our destination.

In 1958 during the construction of the St Lawrence Seaway the large rapids at Long Sault on the St Lawrence River near Montreal were flooded. This resulted in the creation of a 100 square mile reservoir, a large hydro electric project, the creation of the St Lawrence Seaway but also the displacement of over 1000 people and the flooding of 10 villages.

The flooded ghost towns were our destination, our goal was to locate as many as we could, snorkel as many as we could and maybe even find some artifacts.

Here's part 1 of the video I shot.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Now I'm really thinking I'm over-analyzing my sailboat purchase decision!
What a fantastic little setup. Watching your family sail around on this little converted canoe makes me feel like a kid again. Wonderfully inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,218 Posts
Justin,

That is a wonderful video. I am really impressed with your ingenuity and the simple, pragmatic, and effective solutions that you have come-up. I also love the sense that this is a whole family real world experience that will stick with all of you for a lifetime.

Just wonderful! Thank you for sharing that with us and the world.

Jeff

Reactions: Arcb

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the second final part.

Not much sailing but some interesting submerged architecture; rail line, possibly a church, I think a barn, maybe a house, couple of large businesses?

A lot of guess work going on.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Here is the second final part.

Not much sailing but some interesting submerged architecture; rail line, possibly a church, I think a barn, maybe a house, couple of large businesses?

A lot of guess work going on.

Another nice exploring video, thanks for sharing.
Reminds me I need to plan a few new adventures myself :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts