SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on cruising from Liberty Landing Marina in Jersey City NJ to Barnegat Bay. I have a shoal draft Tanzer 7.5. What should I expect entering BB at Barnegat Inlet? Any popular spots I should consider on the cruise?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Be careful in Barnegat Inlet. Strong currents & shifting sand bars. Study your charts first, and if possible follow some of the local boats in. On weekends Tices Shoal can be fun (on the bay side of sland beach state park).

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Barnegat Inlet is one of the most trecherous in NJ. We have come in an out it many times and will use on our trip to Mystic in July. If the tide is outgoing and the wind is from the SE as it usually is in the summer it can be pretty hairy with 6-8 foot rollers washing acrooss the inlet.

Unlike most inlets it is not clear once between the two jetties. Barngat has a shoual inside the jetties on the south side forcing you to hug the north side rockpile. My advice is to follow someone in and leave your main up incase your engine fails entering the inlet.

You can always come in Manesquan and take the Point Pleasent canal to the head of Barmegat Bay. Toms River is a nice anchorgae area up the river. Tices shoal as mentioned is popular too. You can dink in and go to the beach across the narrow spit of land.

Dave

·
Special Delivery
661 Posts
A problem you will have on entering is your speed. The proper way to enter an inlet like this is to pace the surf through the inlet. I've run this inlet in a power boat many times in the past and your boat will be unable to go fast enough to pace the surf and will be at high risk of a broach as thewaves pass you. At the least time your approach with an ingoing tide to have the least seas and contrary current - even then this can be a very dangerous
inlet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be careful in Barnegat Inlet. Strong currents & shifting sand bars. Study your charts first, and if possible follow some of the local boats in. On weekends Tices Shoal can be fun (on the bay side of sland beach state park).
Thanks

My plan is to try to arrive July 5th around 1600 which is slack, 1830 is max flow. I thought that should help with the breakers.

Thanks for the tip on Tices Shoal we'll check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A problem you will have on entering is your speed. The proper way to enter an inlet like this is to pace the surf through the inlet. I've run this inlet in a power boat many times in the past and your boat will be unable to go fast enough to pace the surf and will be at high risk of a broach as thewaves pass you. At the least time your approach with an ingoing tide to have the least seas and contrary current - even then this can be a very dangerous
inlet.
Thanks for the heads up, my plan is to enter on July 5th from 1600 to 1830 which is slack to max flow. I think that will help with the breakers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Barnegat Inlet is one of the most trecherous in NJ. We have come in an out it many times and will use on our trip to Mystic in July. If the tide is outgoing and the wind is from the SE as it usually is in the summer it can be pretty hairy with 6-8 foot rollers washing acrooss the inlet.

Unlike most inlets it is not clear once between the two jetties. Barngat has a shoual inside the jetties on the south side forcing you to hug the north side rockpile. My advice is to follow someone in and leave your main up incase your engine fails entering the inlet.

You can always come in Manesquan and take the Point Pleasent canal to the head of Barmegat Bay. Toms River is a nice anchorgae area up the river. Tices shoal as mentioned is popular too. You can dink in and go to the beach across the narrow spit of land.

Dave
Thanks Dave
my plan is to arrive on July 5th between 1600 slack and 1830 max flow. I have a 9.9 outboard which can get me to hull speed of 5.0 knots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts