SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We came back to the pier in Yarmouth today to find a Catalina 27 barely tied up with a single stern line. The boat had lost its bow line and had flipped around and was hitting the dock pretty badly on the aft quarter. No spring lines. I used the dinghy to push the bow back around against the 10-12kt winds just as the owner showed up. He and his lady claimed they were hitting the "big water" and heading to st. Martin tomorrow. There is a st. Martin NS which is where I hope they are referring to. Although that is back in the direction they say they came from.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,405 Posts
Good on you for addressing his immediate issue. Good on him for trying to live his dream. As long as they are heading away from you, and me, it's all good. I hope that he has an operable VHF.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm not sure it's 'good on them" to try a blue water passage in an unsuitable boat having already demonstrated a lack of seamanship. But they will likely be fine.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke to the skipper on Monday and they are indeed sailing to THE St. Martin. I wished him safe passage.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
Did anybody mention to them that hurricane season officially started June 1st? That might be the kind of details they missed... I hope they don't run into any major weather on their voyage. The coasties have been far too busy lately!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts