SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make up a Christmas list soon, so that my friends and relatives can demonstrate their religious devotion by showering me with material goods. ;)

What fun sailing gifts/toys have you been given that you enjoyed? What should I put on my christmas list? No boring stuff, only fun or interesting stuff please!

Dear Santa/Jesus,

I have been good this year. Can I please have a new engine?

Sincerely,
MedSailor

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
A drone with a camera/GoPro on it.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: jimgo and mtitus

·
Deep Blue Crush
Elan Impression 394
176 Posts
Have you been really, really, and I mean REALLY good? Then I would say go wild and ask for a drone. :) That's probably going to be my Christmas present to myself.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
A drone with a camera/GoPro on it.

Regards,
Brad
I'm guessing it will just be a matter of time, before drones overtake Honda 2000 generators as the principal annoyance in anchorages... :)

There's already a bit of concern in the megayacht community over the lack of regulation regarding their use, specifically the potential invasion of privacy issues... Not hard to imagine paparazzi flocking to places like St Barts for New Year's, armed with drones hovering over the 250' yachts chartered for the holiday by people like Beyonce' and Jay-Z...

Though, the real proof in the pudding will likely come when innocent bystanders start getting injured by these things... Again, it's just a matter of time, YouTube is already littered with vids featuring drone mishaps...

Tourist crashes drone into Yellowstone hot spring - Bozeman Daily Chronicle: News

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm holding out until armed drones are available to the public. I mean what's the fun in having a drone that can't do all the stuff the military ones can?

MedSailor

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I wish people would quit calling them drones, they are just remote control helicopters, they have been available for years. The only thing that has changed is that they now use 4 rotors, are computer assisted, and cameras have become light enough to be carried by them. I had one back in the 80's though I never did quite get very good at flying it. Quadracopters are not the same thing as the military grade drones, and people are talking about outlawing them because they don't understand what they are. They are short range toys that can be used for some fun and even light commercial video/photography. Fox news makes it seem like they are the end of society as we know it. /end of rant

Me I am hoping to get a sailboat finally. Every time I come close the family comes up with some emergency that magically requires all savings.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I'm hoping my loving spouse of more than a half century will be giving the captain either a new Honda 2000i generator, or a Ray Marine EV-100 wheel pilot. Of course, after 52 years and nearly 20 boats later, I doubt that I'll see either under the Xmas tree. ;)

cheers,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm guessing it will just be a matter of time, before drones overtake Honda 2000 generators as the principal annoyance in anchorages...
The below is an RWS "Diana" 1400-fps pellet gun. With her, I regularly kill varmints at hundred or more feet away, and I don't even have the fancy scope. If some jackwagon wants to bother me with his flying contraption, then Diana will fix that little problem. Wish I could do the same with generators...

And before y'all go off, do remember... any rights you think you might have certainly end at my mast and stanchions...

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Bene505,

I'm diggin'. I'm thinkin' I get one of those, and clear out the whole anchorage and then there'd be no question of halyard banging, generator noise or dragging anchors. I win!
Soon Defender and West Marine will be selling the "Generator Eliminator 2000".

With new "Waypoint Strafing", it interfaces with Raymarine and Garmin chartplotters to clear anchorages even before you arrive. Never before has there been such an effective tool with such a high degree of plausible deniability!

Also good for enforcing right-of-way, the Generator Eliminator 2000 uses an onboard loudspeaker to blast "Starboard!" moments before opening fire.

Regards,
Brad

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also good for enforcing right-of-way, the Generator Eliminator 2000 uses an onboard loudspeaker to blast "Starboard!" moments before opening fire.

Regards,
Brad
That comment actually made me laugh out loud at my desk at work. Thanks! I needed that today. :laugher

MedSailor

1 - 20 of 35 Posts