SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a Canadian television production company and we're working on a show about people that leave their life on land and sail away to the sunny south.

We want to know what are the top three fears you had before departing.
We're also looking for people who are heading out in the next six to 18 month on their first live aboard cruise.
Jeff,
Fadoo Productions

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Jeff,

3 Biggest fear for me about my departure planned for next July in no particular order are :

- Is it going to be as fun as I imagine it ?
- Is my new girlfriend going to like it and stick around or will I be singlehandeling?
- Im I going to run out of money quicker than bugeted?

I bought my boat in Iroquois, Ontario and will be sailing it back to my home port in Québec this spring as a shake down cruise. Then I will be making the final preparation for the set date of July 20th where I will be a permanent live aboard and without a job. I have minor navigation skills and have been daysailling the St-Lawrence river here in Quebec for the past 2 years. I can't lie that I feel a bit overwhelm by everything now 6 month before starting my cruise south.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most people worry that their wife/kids/crew won't like it.... they all seem very certain they will like it themselves.

Jeff

·
Registered
557 Posts
Jeff,

Thinking back to when we departed in 2004, I think my fears were (in no order);

Could we handle the weather, we felt the boat could, but could we?
Would we get board without constant stimulation from outside stuff like radio & TV
Once out of the US, could we find places to take care of the boats and our self's.

I know there were more, but that is the three that comes to mind quickly.

By the way, for us, cruising is WAY BETTER than we thought it would be! :D

Greg

·
Banned
96 Posts
Jeff,

Thinking back to when we departed in 2004, I think my fears were (in no order);

Could we handle the weather, we felt the boat could, but could we?
Would we get board without constant stimulation from outside stuff like radio & TV
Once out of the US, could we find places to take care of the boats and our self's.

I know there were more, but that is the three that comes to mind quickly.

By the way, for us, cruising is WAY BETTER than we thought it would be! :D

Greg
Hey Greg , cool shot of your boat . Could you tell us about the boat , like gear and stuff like that ? I think I see a vane there . Also I would like to here about you and yours travels down south . Jeff I don't mean to hijack the thread , I think it will relate .

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey Greg , cool shot of your boat . Could you tell us about the boat , like gear and stuff like that ? I think I see a vane there . Also I would like to here about you and yours travels down south . Jeff I don't mean to hijack the thread , I think it will relate .
No problem Patti,

We DO love our Nor'Sea! :D Take a look at our WEB pages for write ups over the years, including a few yearly gear reports on what worked and what didn't. Also our Youtube page for for videos.

Contact me direct if ya need more info.

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go South new Boaters, Afraid, of What?
Having taken sailing lessons on the Ohio River, then more lesson with Off Shore Sailing in Florida why should we be afraid? Why, we're ready. So, off we go and buy a catamaran, hire a captain for our first off shore sail out of Ft. Lauderdale to Norfolk. Great trip up the Gulf Stream. Ok, so we sail around the Chesapeake for the summer planning to go down the inner coastal waterway after a trip home for the Christmas Holidays and a hernia operation. Our summer seemed to be consumer repairing every system on the boat. Before heading home for the Christmas Holidays we find we top out at 68'9". So much for the ICW. Being novices we decided that sailing around Cape Hatteras in January was probably not in our best interest. We discussed having a captain move the boat south with or without us. Most of the captains we discussed this with said a trip in January could be tricky. Most figured 3 days if all went well. Having just had an operation, the cost of hiring a captain and related travel, fuel costs, our airline tickets to and from the boat, and the cost of fixing our AC/Heating (required by all potential captains) we decided to leave the boat in a marina.
Afraid of what, well let's see. There is all of the maintenance stuff that is not taught in sailing classes which must be learned on the run, the funds needed to keep our to be home afloat, having the right repair parts when needed, and recognizing we really aren't in control but must flow with the circumstances.
Oh yeah we will be back on the boat as soon as possible. Afraid, but going for it.:)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Top three fears- money, monotony, maintenance.
Feared that we have too little of the first, will have too much of the second, and not be able to keep up with the third.
And here I thought owning a boat meant a stream of projects that kept one from being bored FOREVER... ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jiminr,

Boat had been de-mast and brokers had or at least did not reveal the new air draft even after we discussed traveling the ICW. We had studied the ICW and expected to make that trip. Bottom line as new boat owners we did not know what to ask or research but we are learning that the actual sailing is but a small wee little part of the boating adventure. Still it's all fun.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My calendar goal for departure is on the outside of your time frame (18 months). My time frame is 24 months to 3 years max.
So, for what its worth here are my fears:

(My youtube channel is called 'Sailing Nervous' so, that tells you something about me).

1.) I will love it more than my wife and she will get tired of it.
2.) That I will not be able to fix a stalled engine in the middle of a dangerous passage when I lose all electricity in the middle of the night exhausted in a shipping lane area.
3.) That I will hit a thunderstorm at sea and forget what to do and that fear will overwhelm my ability to think clearly.
4.) that we will run out of money and have to return to suburbia...:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My name is Mary and I am extremely new to the sailing live aboard community so much so that we just bought our sailboat and will be doing title finalization and such on Saturday. We are selling everything in our home including our car. We have 3 children ages 9, 7 and 2 years of age. We are planning on moving into our boat by the 2nd week of May. We plan on sailing through the great loop over the next year and eventually out into the ocean.

My top 3 fears are:
1) Something major being wrong or going wrong with the boat and not having the money to fix it.
2) obviously capsizing or running aground.
3) not sure...there's so much that could go wrong but thats all part of the adventure.

We are not millionaires. We have a monthly budget of $800 a month to sustain ourselves. We do not plan living at a Marina but anchoring out most of the time. We are very excited...out boat is on lake erie in ohio and we would love to be part of the show. You can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Top three fears- money, monotony, maintenance.
Feared that we have too little of the first, will have too much of the second, and not be able to keep up with the third.
This was gonna be my answer, but I would not have been as clever with the wording. Damn near poetry, that is.

·
Registered
571 Posts
- Is it going to be as fun as I imagine it ?
- Is my new girlfriend going to like it and stick around or will I be singlehandeling?
- Im I going to run out of money quicker than bugeted?
1.) I will love it more than my wife and she will get tired of it.
2.) That I will not be able to fix a stalled engine in the middle of a dangerous passage when I lose all electricity in the middle of the night exhausted in a shipping lane area.
3.) That I will hit a thunderstorm at sea and forget what to do and that fear will overwhelm my ability to think clearly.
4.) that we will run out of money and have to return to suburbia...:eek:
These echo my concerns and I have one more: I fear that when I get there, it will be too crowded with other yachters. Therefore, I have to admit that I hope your TV show is not seen by many people. :eek:

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
FYI: The OP has not been in the forum since he posted the original message. None of you should get your hopes up or waste too much time with this.

Reactions: jerryrlitton

·
Registered
85 Posts
We're just embarking on this journey. We're a family of 4 living in suburban Canada! cant take it any more and want to take a year or 2 off from reality. We're buying an older boat, fixing it up and taking off for a year. My wife and I almost did this 13 years ago and bailed to start a family. now the bug is back and we have to go. feel free to PM me for more information.

big fears are: kids will not like it, Money ( the usual) and etended family

1 - 20 of 26 Posts