SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw where there was one in the Caribbean that sailed north back into the path of Irma - they lost the boat and then went to a fundme sight to get a new boat.

Another one where they are repairing a Freedom 32 I believe - their boat just sank - they made an announcement on their FB page and then pimped a limited edition t-shirt - and promised a new dramatic video of what happened. While it might be perfectly innocent and through no fault of their own the boat sank - it just leaves you wondering a bit - are there too many video bloggers out there - you have to be more dramatic than the next guy to get people to watch and support?

Maybe chicks in bikini's and thongs are starting too saturate the market and and a new marketing ploy must be rolled out to keep the eyeballs. Possibly a sinking boat with lots of women in bikinis and thongs going down while boat is being circled by a shark.

·
1979 Morgan Out Island 41
77 Posts
To some degree this is true of all mass media entertainment. It usually caters to the people that I label "the lowest common denominator" which I'm finding is becoming more common every day. There's only so much you can do with that though and I think the results for them is short term. Because they are just replaced by the next flash in the pan it looks ongoing but I don't think they last very long so not a long term plan to support a cruising lifestyle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I agree. It's a pretty short term strategy. If the bloggers are smart they will use the attention that they get to try and sell some other type of good/service for a longer term income stream.

And yeah, it's a very saturated market. The whole "self-absorbed female with the camera pressed in their face the entire time" shtick is getting a little old. To that point, you'd have to have a smoking hot female with constant wardrobe malfunctions to compete these days it seems.

On that note, I've ran across a new sailing / traveling vlog that is putting a unique spin on things. Almost like Anthony Bourdain meets a sailing vlog. Search "Sailing the Sea Bear" on the tube if you're interested. Of course the views are next to nothing, probably due to the newness and the absence of T&A (refreshing in my opinion).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer - "no bullsh*t just sailing" - dude on his Contessa 35 in the North Sea - too cold for bikinis, also " Tales from an old seadog" or something along those lines - older guy from Britain - no bikinis there either - although he might wish he a one or two.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
...Another one where they are repairing a Freedom 32 I believe - their boat just sank - they made an announcement on their FB page and then pimped a limited edition t-shirt - and promised a new dramatic video of what happened......
Wicked Salty? I just happened to see the tease vid last night. I stopped watching their stuff, after their Bahamas cruise, but that does get one's attention. Nevertheless, I was annoyed that it was just a tease that tried to sell a t-shirt and promise details in the future. They discovered Patreon, et al, near the end of their cruise and it seems to be a needle in the arm now.

Those kids were not the most knowledgeable sailors, but I thought that was fine, as they were very young and on a huge learning adventure. I'm not sure they spend enough time becoming knowledgeable. We'll see what happened, which perhaps could have happened to any of us. I certainly don't wish it on them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Let's see they left their thru hull open then a fitting/hose let go so they got water in their boat, then you see the girl talking to the insurance company. I don't feel sorry for that, I haven't given them money, but when I do give money it's not because I feel sorry for their mistakes, I give because the content is good and I like their story.

But I do say I think their shirt design is cool.

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
I enjoy sailing but I find "pure sailing" videos boring. I like the ones that are combinations of travel blogs with a mix of "this is how we do things on board" (provisioning, fixing things, issues they run into) and how the interaction between the people goes.

The best of them all for mine is RAN Sailing.
They know how to sail so you don't have these constant cringworthy cockups where we're supposed to feel sorry for these idiots who shouldn't be without adult supervision.
They are wonderful competent interesting adult Swedish humans who are nice people.
Sure it helps they are reasonably photogenic, but they make interesting videos with great shots, a storyline and fabulous backing music. And their underwater shots of dolphins around the boat are awesome, and no one else seems to do them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I too liked Wicked Salty watching them make some mistakes along the way as they finally made their goal of reaching the Bahamas with a pretty bare boat that he paid for himself by taking two jobs including waiting tables. Have not checked on them since they got the bigger boat.

I find La Vagabound tedious and uninteresting and sometimes too silly. S/V DELOS is much more interesting to me and one of the few I look forward to watch as they post videos. I also throw them a few bucks every once in awhile.

I'm noticing a bunch of new videos being posted by newbies that I find a waste of my time. Some seem to put up the Pateron banner before they have even left the dock. I'll stick with S/V Delos and Drake Paragon videos to entertain me in the off season. I've no time for most of the new drama queens starting up.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Saw where there was one in the Caribbean that sailed north back into the path of Irma - they lost the boat and then went to a fundme sight to get a new boat.

Another one where they are repairing a Freedom 32 I believe - their boat just sank - they made an announcement on their FB page and then pimped a limited edition t-shirt - and promised a new dramatic video of what happened. While it might be perfectly innocent and through no fault of their own the boat sank - it just leaves you wondering a bit - are there too many video bloggers out there - you have to be more dramatic than the next guy to get people to watch and support?

Maybe chicks in bikini's and thongs are starting too saturate the market and and a new marketing ploy must be rolled out to keep the eyeballs. Possibly a sinking boat with lots of women in bikinis and thongs going down while boat is being circled by a shark.
I think that Wes and Kate (Wicked Salty) are good kids just trying to pursue their dream. I always liked their enthusiasm (even if many of their learnings were obvious to the rest of us). I enjoyed their videos with the old boat, and was looking forward to their new videos. I thinks it's absurd and cold-hearted to suggest that they sunk their boat on purpose to get clicks. Where's your sympathy for your fellow sailor? The T-shirt sale is a little tacky, but if I had lost my entire boat, along with the contents which likely were not fully insured, and had a following like they do, I probably would do the same thing they are. FYI, the guy operating the tender taking them out to their sinking vessel is a good friend from college. He owns the Merit 25 that they raced on the past couple of years while they were between boats.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Wicked Salty? I just happened to see the tease vid last night. I stopped watching their stuff, after their Bahamas cruise, but that does get one's attention. Nevertheless, I was annoyed that it was just a tease that tried to sell a t-shirt and promise details in the future. They discovered Patreon, et al, near the end of their cruise and it seems to be a needle in the arm now.

Those kids were not the most knowledgeable sailors, but I thought that was fine, as they were very young and on a huge learning adventure. I'm not sure they spend enough time becoming knowledgeable. We'll see what happened, which perhaps could have happened to any of us. I certainly don't wish it on them.
Minnewaska:
I agree. I always gave Wicked Salty some slack as they learned the lessons of newbies which I think we can all relate too. After not following them for awhile I just checked into their channel again and was a little disappointed in them hawking their T shirts following their boats sinking. Having ones boat sink could happen to anyone of us. When I see it happen to others it always reminds me that it is sometimes the simple things that can sink a boat. Sometimes it's only a minute of forgetfulness. A valve not closed, a clamp not tightened etc... I contrasted their plight with the experienced Ocean sailor Eric Forsyth earlier this summer
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ERIC FORSYTH: An Inexplicable Attraction
Who was just days away from starting another circum navigation of the north Atlantic. When a hose slipped off a head fitting on his boat Fiona. The boat sank at the slip and he and his friends went right to work and had things back to normal in about two weeks. Last I saw he had just left the Azores heading for Spain with the boat. His sunk boat did not stop him from making the cruise. He certainly did not stop to design and sell limited edition T-Shirts.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
lots of women in bikinis and thongs going down.
. I have to agree that the internet is saturated with videos like this. 🙄 (Sorry in advance for being so juvenile, but that phrase jumped off the page at me)

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
I make the comment to many 20 something's that they should drop the big city rent and move aboard a small boat. I'm half hearted about it, because most have never sailed. I'm really just channeling what I wish I had done at their age.

100% says something to the effect that they would never live in a house that could sink. It seems to be instinctive that one would go to any legnth to prevent this. Wouldn't it be obvious that one never leaves a single seacock open, when you leave your boat at a mooring, at least for any length of time?

I don't want to be harsh, nor bring the wrath of Poseidon upon my apparent hubris. Things can certainly break, despite ones best efforts. We've certainly all made a mistake and forgotten one, which only by luck or good fortune did we not find ourselves in the same place. I haven't heard exactly what happened.

I leave my air conditioning intakes open at the slip, although, I am on shore power and have two pumps and an alarm. Still, I seriously worry.

I have no malice toward these kids. I hope they recover. It may have been unavoidable, we'll see. If they were in my marina, I'm sure I would help them. I'm not buying a t-shirt only because I'm afraid they are learning to get through life that way and it isn't likely to work.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have sympathy for anyone losing or damaging their boat - my issue with their Youtube video was the pushing of a limited edition t-shirt and the teaser about an upcoming video showing what happened - to me it starts too look very scripted - and then my mind starts to wonder if it is a setup. I guess for them its about building a brand - which is fine, just getting a little too commercial for me.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"and promised a new dramatic video of what happened."
Clickbait SELLS. Fortunately, YoRube! still allows you to unsubscribe and thumb-down the stuff you don't like. Just think of it like the midway at a carnival: Everyone knows the games are rigged. Everyone knows the sights on the shooting range are bent and the pellets a bit deformed. But, that's the way the game is played.
Who is to say which is more ridiculous: A Picasso for $56 million that can be reproduced quite nicely for $500 by a starving Chinese art factory worker? Or a black velvet Elvis for $49.95 in the local secondhand store?

I guess the next step would be to totally stage a forged-and-scripted hoax channel of some kind. Complete with animatronic giant kraken attacking boat, or marauding polar bears on the ice floes.

"That's entertainment!"

(Oh, and PT Barnum wrote some excellent books on the subject.)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I think you guys are definitely creating a damned if you do, damned if you don't world in this little thread.

On the one hand, people moan about vloggers using Patreon and GoFundMe to get money for nothin' and chicks for free. Then when Wicked Salty puts the time, money, and effort into creating products that they are selling for a relatively fair price, creating an actual, physical transaction that you can take or leave (instead of "donations"), they're now "too commercial"? Eyeroll.

These vloggers are, through a lot of time and hard work, doing something extremely innovative and interesting - and most importantly fun. And they are making money from it - from those that get value out of those efforts. It's working.

Then, just as has been the case since Rebel Without a Cause, you have old guys in lawnchairs griping about kids these days...while secretly wishing they could do exactly what they're doing. A tale as old as time itself.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I watched their videos when they were on the first boat - a Ericson , thought is was fine, somewhat interesting - figured they returned home and on to real jobs for a while - but no it seems they just got another boat and asking for patrons to support the on going lifestyle - which is fine for some, not something I wish to donate to. Maybe this is a new career for some - sailing around asking for money - I can see it as a short term venture - take a year off and have an adventure - or more if you have the resources - maybe I am just old school - it looks a little too much like begging to me at some point - I understand that some have made their videos basically a commercial channel - not my thing, but others seem to enjoy it so I guess there is a market for it - I wonder when it reaches saturation point?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
The old model for "authors" (would-be writers or photogs) used to be, do your work, unpaid, then shop it around to every publisher (there used to be dozens) until someone paid you a nickel per word--just once and bought the exclusive rights worldwide in perpetuity. And if their readers sent in enough feedback, sometimes the editors would actually solicit your work and raise that to a dime a word with more generous terms.

Then in the 80's more folks started to make money telling authors how to self-publish with so-called desktop publishing. Then came the web and advertisers on blogs, and now?

So what? Instead of spending days crafting an article, or thousands of dollars on camera lenses and a darkroom, and speculating on whether someone might deign to buy your work (and keep most of the profit from it) the same would-be folks can speculate for themselves, throw anything against the wall and see if it sticks. And get instant and ongoing payments from the folks who like it and "buy" it, forever after. (Of course the publishers still make the lions' share from the ad revenue that THEY keep forever ater.)

But really, who cares? Folks want to create whatever they want, they post it freely...It is't like Gargoyle and other evil empires, that bombard you with their offerings. Don't like the show? Change the channel.

There have always been authors that readers don't follow. BFD.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is no way I would want to do what they are doing - I would have 0 interest in videoing my on-board life or adventures. While my daysailing in Florida would bore people to tears - I do ride my moto in Colombia - the vistas and things I see would be much more interesting - but I have no interest in taking the time to shoot video of the ride - a few pics and and maybe a short video of a town square of about 15 seconds but that would be it. But then the younger generation is different - they video or take photos of their most mundane things in life and post on FB or Snapchap/instagram - and their friends seem to enjoy it.

And just to be transparent I do like:
Untie the lines - lots of time in Panama and some in Colombian waters - areas I know.
MJ sailing - over 500 days working on their boat in Indiantown Florida - yikes.
Adventures of an old Seadog - reminds me of a friend of mine.

Maybe I am just jealous - being in banking no one wants to see a video of my daily life. ( thank goodness for a very liberal vacation policy)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont care if its entertaining, i just want it to be educational (like how history channel used to be). Wouldnt it be great if they posted a lengthy step by step video of something like replacing an engine. Anyone know if this exists?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts