SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I do not sail, my boyfriend does and I want to get him a watch. Which one of these two options do you think is a better fit in terms of features for cruising?

Suunto Core Multifunction Watch - Free Shipping at REI.com
This sounds useful:
Storm alarm feature activates when a rapid drop in air pressure is detected over a 3 hr. period; alarm sounds and flashes to indicate bad weather

Or this one:

Which offers thermometer; tide and moon data

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
701 Posts
How about Casio Protek PRG-130T Triple Sensors with Compass, Tide Prediction, Moon Phase, Barometer, Timer, Stop Watch,.....

·
Registered
602 Posts
I dunno. Watches are a personal thing... kinda like the way shoes are to most women. I'd ask him what he wants. He may not want either.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
For example on land I use a fully kitted Polar RCX5 and it gathers a mind boggling amount of info on your body's performance as well as a GPX track

FWIW it also makes a good Google earth track when sailing and has a 20 hour runtime on the GPS logger

I have yet to find a sailing watch I find as useful

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I didn't think young people wore watches. Just use their phones which are ALWAYS in use.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
How'z about dis one?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
If I need a watch to tell me what the weather is doing, I'm in trouble. It might also go off whenever he takes a plane: not helpful unless he wants to meet more of the nice people at Homeland Security. The watch I use for sailing is a Timex Ironman. It has a countdown timer that I can set for five minutes for the start of races. I can get one for each of the crew for the price of one fancy import. As said above though, watch preferences are quite individualized.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I've been wearing a simple mechanical watch while sailing--actually all the time--for eight years. Time, date, waterproof to 300m and looks nice.

So I thought about what I care about while sailing and for which I turn to other instruments.

In order:

Water depth - probably not going to find in a watch without bluetooth and instrument integration (although the rumored iWatch might be interesting)

Wind speed & direction - again not likely to be in a watch; there is an iPhone app for wind speed...

Boat speed - anything with GPS would do great.

Location - lat/lon numbers are sufficient

Barometric pressure

I'm not sure if that exercise helps, other than to assure me that I'm fine with my mechanical watch and iPhone. *grin*

Racers will like count-down (starts) and count-up (mark roundings against PHRF and similar competitors) timers that are easy to use.

It's a wonderful thought. Lot's of girl friend points.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
As a coastal cruiser, I have a pocket watch on a lanyard. The only time I use it is to time bridge openings. Other than that, time doesn't matter much.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
As I sail a lot of OPBs, I insist on a watch with a barometer. I have a Suunto Yachtsman that was purchased at Costco.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
I didn't think young people wore watches. Just use their phones which are ALWAYS in use.
A little dose of bitterness will help this first time poster come back.

I wouldn't ask him. He will probably be happy that his girlfriend thought of him and enjoy wearing the watch that she picked out. If my girlfriend bought me grey sailing shoes but I wanted black, I would rather have the grey because she was thinking of me.

A watch it's just for usefulness it's also a piece of jewelry to remind him of her when he is sailing.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I've had a couple of Suuntos, and they lasted about 10 seconds each. Casio are a good brand and they last quite well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts